Foreign Registered Vessel - How long can I stay in MD before I need to leave the US - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011

Pierre Bouvery is on a distinguished road
Cool Foreign Registered Vessel - How long can I stay in MD before I need to leave the US

I am a non US resident. I have a European passport, and own a BVI registered sail boat. By June next year, I want to sail from BVI to Annapolis, leave the boat there for about 2-2 1/2 months to travel across the US, and then leave the US to sail the boat to Europe. Although I will have tourist visa (for Europeans it is valid up to 3 months), can I leave/park the boat that long in MD, or does it create an issue? Is there any particular documentation/permit needed? Is there any associated cost/local tax?

Grateful for any information on the subject.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
I hear that the USCG issues one-year permits for visiting boats whose paperwork is in order. To determine what you need, check the U.S. Customs & Border Patrol site. For starters: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...3D%3D/search/1 The price I saw was about $28.00
Bonne visite!
Old 06-27-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Pierre, you will need a US federal cruising permit to bring the boat into the US. That's good for one year, not a minute longer. At that point the boat must leave the US for 15(?) days and you may apply for a new permit good for another year, which may or may not be granted.

Regarding state laws, I don't think you'll find any limits on your stays. For a US-documented vessel there are issues with registration and sales tax, sometimes in as little as 90 days, but for a foreign-flagged vessel that should not be an issue.

I would check directly with Customs, the USCG, and the Maryland state authorities to make certain of that though. All should have web site contacts, although of course sometimes it is still nicer to have a real letter to file in the ship's papers.
Old 06-27-2011

osirissail is on a distinguished road
Although your boat can get into the USA without much difficulty, you will not be able to enter the country unless you have a valid USA B1/B2 visa in your passport.
- - The rules for visiting the USA traveling by commercial airliner do not apply to entry with a private recreational vessel.
Old 06-28-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Bouvery View Post
I am a non US resident. I have a European passport, and own a BVI registered sail boat. By June next year, I want to sail from BVI to Annapolis, leave the boat there for about 2-2 1/2 months to travel across the US, and then leave the US to sail the boat to Europe. Although I will have tourist visa (for Europeans it is valid up to 3 months), can I leave/park the boat that long in MD, or does it create an issue? Is there any particular documentation/permit needed? Is there any associated cost/local tax?

Grateful for any information on the subject.
If your 'tourist visa' is the 'visa waiver' it is no good if you arrive in the US on a private sailboat. You must have a B1/B2 visa and believe me this is non negotiable.

The boat gets a year with it's cruising permit, you will most likely be given 6 months although it is at the discretion of the immigration officer and I have met two couples who got stamped for a year on entry after they gave reasons. This mattered as they wanted to get US driving licences.
Old 06-28-2011

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
svsirius is on a distinguished road
The key question you asked is whether you can leave the boat for 90 days in MD. The answer is yes. MD has a 90 day rule before they try and get tax revenue for boats docked in the state for that contiguous period. So if all your visas/cruising permits are in order you should be fine.