SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Glad this wasn't me. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/75741-glad-wasnt-me.html)

tdw 06-28-2011 10:38 PM

Glad this wasn't me.

Police call off search for missing man.

Police call off search for missing man - ABC Sydney - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Seems they sailed out of Sydney Harbour for Broken Bay - 17nms north of Sydney. Sunday was damn near perfect conditions for motor boats. Not much wind at all but they might have picked up a puff offshore. Wife goes below for a nap and wakes off Collaroy to find hubby has left the building. Collaroy is only 6nms north of Sydney and she needs a nap ?

Its a weird one and yes I am probably not giving it the gravitas it deserves but it really seems strange. He's presumably decied to have a quick slash over the side and whoopsy doodle.

No body even now but there are plenty of rocky outcrops for a body to get wedged into off Collaroy which also happens to be a very happy hunting ground for sharks.

So kiddies, remember ... if you leave the cockpit at sea ... strap yourself in.

Boasun 06-28-2011 10:55 PM

Don't know the number of times that I've tried to raise the level of the tide. But I've always hung on to the rail, shroud or stancion, pending on the vessel, for safety sake. And sometimes my hand was white knuckled while hanging on.

Faster 06-28-2011 11:42 PM

It's said a high percentage of drowned sailors were found with their flies open.. and yet we all still do it...

Sad for everyone..

jackdale 06-28-2011 11:46 PM

Insurance companies will not usually pay out if only one of a couple comes back reporting a MOB.

Not murder; fraud.

Remember the guy who disappeared in the Irish Sea (I think) and turned up in Panama afetr his wife made a few trips there.

jackdale 06-28-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 745224)
It's said a high percentage of drowned sailors were found with their flies open.. and yet we all still do it...

Sad for everyone..

85% of man who fall overboard have there flies open. 43.5% of statistics are made up.

I do not pee overboard. On a delivery to St Barths, the fresh water system started leaking on a boat with fresh water heads. We peed in a bottle and dumped overboard or were tethered if we went direct.

tdw 06-29-2011 12:35 AM

I don't like having a slash over the side and that cos on almost every occasion that I have nearly gone over I to would have been found with flies askew.

jerryrlitton 06-29-2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 745224)

Sad for everyone..

Seems to me eventually I would put everything back. I would not want to be found in that condition.

Allanbc 06-29-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryrlitton (Post 745272)
Seems to me eventually I would put everything back. I would not want to be found in that condition.

Note to self, check my fly to make sure it is up if I go overboard.

tdw 06-29-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryrlitton (Post 745272)

.... maybe depend on how cold the water ? .. :eek:

speciald 06-29-2011 07:54 PM

Was there an anchor missing as well?