Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
What is your tightest angle to sail between close haul?

Between port tack and starboard tack in a close haul,

1. What is the smallest angle you have ever achieved?
2. What are the factors that may increase the angle

I have experienced the angle from 120 degrees to as much as 180 degrees, it make sense to me. But that was what I observed. In theory, it should be just 90 degrees, I don't mind to settle for 100 degrees. But not 120 degree or more.

Am I missing something here?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
If I really try hard, and don't listen the the Admiral about the wet/rough ride, I manage to tack through just about 90 degrees relative to the apparent wind. Of course, depending on the wind strength and sea state, that translates to somewhere between 100 to 120 degrees relative to the true wind.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 06-30-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

Just about any boat should be able to point about 45 degrees off the apparent wind. However, that doesn't mean you are actually SAILING that close to the wind. For example, my O'day 35 has a shoal draft and a fixed 3 blade prop. If I try to point very high, the boat makes a lot of leeway and basically slides sideways. The shoal draft keel prevents my boat from sailing at high angles. About the best I can do is 50 degrees (tacking about 100 degrees).

A boat that I race on, an early 80's C&C 34 with a deep draft keel sails much closed to the wind. That boat can point at about 35 degrees apparent (about 45 degrees true) and actually sails that high.

I do not profess to be an expert, but things that affect how high you can sail are the keel, rudder, prop (less drag allows you to sail higher), sails, and hull shape.

If the bottom of your boat is foul with growth, your sails old and bagged out, and a traveler that doesn't work right, you are never going to be able to sail high.

Clean the bottom, make sure your foils are clean and in good condition, check your sails. When sailing as close to the wind as possible, make sure you trim the headsail in as tight as possible, and after the main sheet is as tight as possible, use the traveler to get the main up to center. That's about as good as your boat will do.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Between port tack and starboard tack in a close haul,

1. What is the smallest angle you have ever achieved?
2. What are the factors that may increase the angle

I have experienced the angle from 120 degrees to as much as 180 degrees, it make sense to me. But that was what I observed. In theory, it should be just 90 degrees, I don't mind to settle for 100 degrees. But not 120 degree or more.

Am I missing something here?
What type of boat? Keel? Sail Plan?

The worst for me was a Seawolf 30; full keel, unbattened mail, bagged sails. Tacked through 120 degrees.

Best was a C&C 35, fin keel, new sails. Tacked through about 70 degrees.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 07-01-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-01-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Another big factor is the sea state. Any waves are going to significantly knock your pointing ability. In open water 10-15kts winds in a couple of hours will easily create waves that will knock 10 degrees from your pointing ability.

This thread here is bascially talking about the same subject.

Ilenart
Old 07-01-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Using decades of racing experience (not all mine - I have had some great sail trimmers aboard including racer JonD and Quantum sail guy Dave Flynn) I can tweak my HR40 to about 30 apparent. I tack through about 90 true.

The biggest deal on my boat is using enough backstay tension to get headstay sag down to about four or five inches. YMMV.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
As said, depends upon the boat, There are two in my club that out point me, and I can get within 75-80* tack in true and 65-75 apparent with a 110 up. Most of the time, add about 5-10* to these numbers.

marty
Old 07-01-2011

tweitz is on a distinguished road
I think Barry L makes an excellent point. One can sail and tack at 45 degrees to the apparent wind, but if you were to look at the course on the chartplotter, it would appear to be a far more obtuse angle. Not to be obtuse about it, a large part of that is leeway, where you lose the most when closest to the wind. Since I have a lifting keel, it is really apparent when I am too lazy to lower the keel, and the difference in leeway is dramatic. When people talk about how close to the wind they sail, they are usually talking apparent wind, and not actual.
Old 07-01-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
120*? Might want to tune the old rig, add some outhaul tension, move the jib cars back one, and put on more backstay. Make sure the boom is on center. 120* would take you forever to get to windward.
Old 07-01-2011

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
Just less than 60-degrees (28-29 degrees off the apparent wind); that was with crew in 12-15 knots of wind on flat waters. I haven't thought to actually measure the angle on the GPS (heat of the moment and all). I regularly tack 30-35 degrees off the wind.

There are many factors that come into play in determining how high a boat can point. Besides re-designing the boat, spending lots of money on new sails and gear, and having lots of "rail meat" in the right place; anything that causes drag and slows the boat down is really all you can control.

...Yep, narrow pointing angles are what J36s were made for. Well, that and speed.

Skipper,
J/36 "Zero Tolerance"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.