If I would have know a sail boat would cost less than a jet ski. - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011

Mr.Ritz is on a distinguished road
If I would have know a sail boat would cost less than a jet ski.

Would have got the sail boat as it had always been a dream. I just figure they would cost much more but after having a 96 Xp Seadoo for two years that is no longer the case. First thing I found out Electronics + Saltwater = Fail, the seadoo is full of electronics that constantly have saltwater splashing over them.

I ended up paying 1200.00 for seadoo and trailer, one month later 500.00 to replace all the wiring and starter. Not to mention FL doubled the price of a tag for the trailer to pull it with. Cost 50 bucks a year plus another 100 to register it. Now on top of that I got rid of the car to tow it, had a friend that said he would split marina fees with me. Did not happen and I am now paying 120.00 a month for dry dock. I saw a boat for sale that had a mooring buoy for 68 a month. Not to mention fuel costs of my seadoo it consumes something like 10 gallons an hour at WOT. Plus that special seadoo oil I have to use at 34 dollars a gallon.

I probably did not research the full costs of owning a sail boat but I see quite a few 22ft sail boats in the 1500-3000 range. I am prob being bias too because I found out I do not care about going fast on the water but just being on the water in general.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2011
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
If you bought a jetski, you got what you deserve.
Old 07-01-2011

turbulicity is on a distinguished road
For boats in that price range, you are looking at much more than $500 for the maintenance/repair costs. The boat on the mooring ball may sound cheaper but than you will have to haul it out to do bottom paint every now and then no to mention the inconvenience of getting to it. So boating is not cheap. If all you care about is being in the water every now and then and do it cheap, get a fast sailing dinghy that you can top on your car. No engine, no electrical, no trailer and no mooring.
Old 07-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
If you bought a jetski, you got what you deserve.
Right you are.. They have to be the highest maintenance required craft on the water. My fuel gauge is busted and I need a new one. The marina I have it at do not repair jet skis, only boats so I have to pay another place to do it where the marina will charge them me 30.00 bucks a day just to use their space. Prob looking at 150.00 to put a multi gauge in

Last edited by Mr.Ritz; 07-01-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulicity View Post
For boats in that price range, you are looking at much more than $500 for the maintenance/repair costs. The boat on the mooring ball may sound cheaper but than you will have to haul it out to do bottom paint every now and then no to mention the inconvenience of getting to it. So boating is not cheap. If all you care about is being in the water every now and then and do it cheap, get a fast sailing dinghy that you can top on your car. No engine, no electrical, no trailer and no mooring.

Yeah I figure in that price range was too good to be true. I have been burned by many things by going cheap like that. How about something like this for 5500? Entire hull redone and tons of new stuff.

Quote:
Also included with this fine boat are recently acquired and uninstalled port lenses-----replacement windows, 1 large, 3 small.-$165.00+ cost.
Boat is in great condition for its age. Engine works great and boat is in sailing condition. This boat is in the finishing stages of a complete exterior refurbishing. The entire hull, upper deck and cabin tops will have been completely refinished. Costs on refinishing exceed $2500. Dollars in materials alone - (I stopped counting at that point).
Deck and cabin top refinishing should take another week or so (weather permitting) and this will be one heck of a buy for someone getting into this terrific sailboat.
25' Hunter
Old 07-01-2011

Can't be sure but you have to be careful buying from someone advertising to sell while refurbishing. Possibly all he cares is to make as cheap as possible cosmetic improvements and sell it as high as he can.

If you want a sailboat, you have to accept the costs. Inspect the rigging, sails, mast and spreader, deck core and deck hardware bedding, engine, electrical wiring, plumbing, bulkheads, rudder, prop/shaft/stuffing/coupling carefully. Best done by a qualified surveyor. But you get the picture. A lot of areas that could be significant expenses, even if you do it yourself. When you are buying, don't go pay to the limit of you budget. Leave some room for some of these items. Chances are, more than a few expenses will pop right up.

If you are new to all this and don't have a whole lot of money that you are willing to let go for your passion, start as small as you can. Remember, above all, you want to get out in the water. You don't want to wait until you have the money to fix item a and item b and so forth. Speaking from personal experience here.
Old 07-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulicity View Post
Can't be sure but you have to be careful buying from someone advertising to sell while refurbishing. Possibly all he cares is to make as cheap as possible cosmetic improvements and sell it as high as he can.

If you want a sailboat, you have to accept the costs. Inspect the rigging, sails, mast and spreader, deck core and deck hardware bedding, engine, electrical wiring, plumbing, bulkheads, rudder, prop/shaft/stuffing/coupling carefully. Best done by a qualified surveyor. But you get the picture. A lot of areas that could be significant expenses, even if you do it yourself. When you are buying, don't go pay to the limit of you budget. Leave some room for some of these items. Chances are, more than a few expenses will pop right up.

If you are new to all this and don't have a whole lot of money that you are willing to let go for your passion, start as small as you can. Remember, above all, you want to get out in the water. You don't want to wait until you have the money to fix item a and item b and so forth. Speaking from personal experience here.
I am going to be doing much research over the next year as I don't plan to get anything until next season. I am going to sell my jet ski right out of the marina at the end of this season or trailer it one last time and sell at the beginning of next season to get a better price. Right now, this season I am just looking to get experience on a sail boat.. I found free sail lessons from a coast guard captain but for trade he wants someone to help restore his boat, sanding, electrical, wood work. Really don't know anything about that but don't mind manual labor.

Sail boat crew sure seems a lot nice than PWC crew, not to say some PWC members don't go out of their way to help but I can see why boaters hate us lol.
Old 07-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
I found free sail lessons from a coast guard captain but for trade he wants someone to help restore his boat, sanding, electrical, wood work. Really don't know anything about that but don't mind manual labor.
Seems like an excellent opportunity. Don't miss it. You will get to know exactly what you are getting into. Both in terms of sailing and maintenance. Try to learn how much he is spending on the repairs too. Start getting a sense of how much things cost. You will learn to see which boat is a money pit and which can be made good with mostly elbow grease. I just wanted to warn you so you don't undertake an overwhelming project and bury your passion for the sea. There is a lot a sailboat can offer in return of the love and money it asks.
Old 07-01-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Ritzy,

If you just want to get out of the water and keep your costs down I'd look at some smaller trailer sailors like a Catalina 22', Rhodes 19' and even some of the sailing dinghies like a Flying Scot, Snipe, Lightning etc. The dinghies I mentioned rarely are equipped with a motor (you just need some oars or paddles) and can be pulled behind most passenger cars. Small boat maintenance requires smaller $$$ outlays for everything.

There really is nothing like sailing along (if there is wind) without the noise of an engine ruining the experience. I'm helping teach a Sunfish class right now for teens and even that is fun, in my opinion.

Good luck.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
That Hunter looks pretty nice man....I know you said you were gonna wait now, but if it's close to you and a possibility, I'd at least go take a look at it.... that one might be a real deal.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas