Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
junk rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by timangiel View Post
I've seen boats without backstays before but today I seen something I have never seen before. There is a boat docked a couple of slips down from me that seemed to have no standing rigging at all. It had to be at least a 30ft sailboat, and the mast was up. It had a boom with a mainsail that appeared to be held up by lazy jacks. There was no headsail or forestay. There was no backstay. There were no shrouds or spreaders. It did not even seem to have a place to attach shrouds even if you wanted to ( no chainplates). I wish I had a camera, I could have posted a pic. The mast seemed to be rounder and of a larger diameter than most other boats of a simular size, but I find it hard to believe there is no standing rigging.
It is equally likely that what you saw was a junk rigged boat, as in Chinese Junk. If the sail bundle protruded forward of the mast it was almost certainly a junk rig. It is my preferred rig, and a few other peoples' too.
Click the link in my sig to learn more.
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkrig View Post
It is equally likely that what you saw was a junk rigged boat, as in Chinese Junk.
Jeff
Freedom and Nonsuch built a good number of boats. Two are my immediate dock mates, and probably 5-8 total from those makers in the marina. There are Wiley cat boats around as well, though none locally. Regardless of the 'viability' or potential of a modern junk rig, they are very very rare creatures. There was one on the brokerage dock a couple of years ago, and there's a catamaran with parallel (one on each ama) junk rigged masts on another dock that's hasn't left the slip in as long as anyone can remember growing a lot of green. More power to you though. Yours looks like a very interesting set up!

Last edited by puddinlegs; 07-05-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-05-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
rare creatures

Yes, it's true they are rare creatures. Sunbird and Kingfisher made factory junk-rigged boats before the big manufacturer shakeout in the late 1980's. To the best of my knowledge no-one has made a factory junk rig since. Almost all the junkrig boats on the planet are owner built or conversions. In fact, Nonsuch are rather popular to convert.

My Nor'Sea was ordered without rig by her original owner (in 1979) and "converted" before she was ever dropped in the water. He took her to Fiji, among other places.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 07-18-2011
1980 Nonsuch 30C #77

anchorsaweigh is on a distinguished road
I LOVE my Nonsuch! I've found no disadvantages to this rig.