Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakePirate View Post
On the great lake of Texoma.
Is there a way to make this a poll?
As far as I can see it's too late now to make it s poll, I'd have had to do it when I made the original post.y
Moderators, is that right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2011

Jurgy is on a distinguished road
I'm up the road from Stockton at Smithville, north of Kansas City. While the lake is small, being able to decide to go sailing during supper, and be on deck twenty mintues later is wonderful. We get to take advantage of many warm evenings when the wind is up.

And although local pride often prevents acceptance of fact, it is common knowledge the best sailing anywhere is found in central Missouri; a mere thousand miles away from any salt water. Coastal sailors just get stuck in the old trap of defending their home port.

Jurgy
s/v My Girl
Old 07-05-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Lake Minnetonka in the Twin Cities area. Lots of high brow homes around it. Not bad sailing actually, just kinda small. Oh yeah, lots of over compensation powerboats on the lake. I get up to a larger lake once or twice a year too, Superior. Does that really count as "lake" sailing?

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Old 07-05-2011
Both ends are pointy.

Hi, Jurgy
Are you trailer sailing or do you have a slip at Smithville? I live near Richmond, about an hour from Sailboat Cove at Smithville and over two hours from.Stockton. We'll see how I like my decision, I'm a couple of weeks.from.even getting my boat in the water down there. I used to sail a junk rigged 4' x 8' Puddle Duck Racer at Smithville - my avatar, in fact. I may see you there yet.
Jeff

Just because I like it.
Old 07-05-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
I sail on Table Rock down in the Ozarks. I kept my first sailboat on Stockton though. I keep my boat in a slip down there.
Old 07-05-2011

snotter is on a distinguished road
I anxiously waiting the day when I can take my Morgan 41 down the Ten-Tom on a one-way trip. It won't happen until my two sons are out of college. Instead of complaining about the absence of saltwater here, I am thankful for the cheap slips, cheap insurance, the lack of huricanes, the lack of corosion and the presence of other great freshwater sailors. I live on my boat in a beautiful statepark and pay only 153$ a month for my slip. The marina is managed wonderfully and I don't have to deal with a marina owner with a bad personality.
Old 07-05-2011
Both ends are pointy.

Suprior a lake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
Lake Minnetonka in the Twin Cities area. Lots of high brow homes around it. Not bad sailing actually, just kinda small. Oh yeah, lots of over compensation powerboats on the lake. I get up to a larger lake once or twice a year too, Superior. Does that really count as "lake" sailing?
Yeah, Superior is a lake.

And Everest is a hill.
abarth likes this.

Just because I like it.
Old 07-05-2011

Jurgy is on a distinguished road
Hi Jeff -
We've been at Smithville for three years, and keep her in a slip. Arrival to leaving the marina really is ten minutes or less.

Stockton is great for sailing. I'ld be there if it wasn't such a drive. We kept a houseboat there when we lived in Springfield and the kids were small. Enjoy the summer.

Jurgy
s/v My Girl
Old 07-05-2011
Tartan 28

drgamble is on a distinguished road
Stockton Lake

Junk - enjoy Stockton Lake. I sailed there for 3 years prior to moving my boat to CA last year. I have very found memories of that lake. God knows it gets plenty of wind and gave me great challenges in singlehanding and honing tacks and jibes while dealing with gusts and shifting winds. My best memories where coving out for 2-3 nights at a time. Sail all day, find a secluded cove (you're the only boat there), drop hook, make a good meal and relax on the boat. Clear water, millions of stars, jumping the cliffs at Edge Island and watching the bald eagles come and go was always a plus. The bugs and some of the extreme temps of summer were not... All in all an excellent sailing lake.

Tartan 28
Peregrine

Old 07-05-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkrig View Post
"When I read about lake or river sailing I think Why bother? "
Tell them to head out on Superior. In November. In a big blow.

If they survive I'll buy them a beer. If they survive without crying for their mommy I'll buy them 2.

By no means am I comparing Superior (or any lake) to the "La Mer", but each provides it's own thrills and challenges, and to diss any of them is just being snooty.