Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Question Lake sailors?

I'm a landlocked sailor in Missouri, sailing a bluewater boat on a 25,000 acre Corps of Engineers lake called Stockton. The wrong side of sixty, roots fairly deep, wife's roots deeper...
So I got to wondering. There's got to be a few more lake sailors on here, man-made lakes. How many, and where?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2011

Mormandeus is on a distinguished road
River sailor myself. Live on the St. John River near Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada and sail on the headpond. The headpond is the flooded river valley above the Mactaquac Dam. Up to a half mile wide and navigable (word?) for about 20 miles. Deep water up to 20' from shore with few shallows of points (I know of 4 plus a sand bar which is actually marked). Easy sailing except for the shifty winds. There are about 50 sailboats in the area, many in the Provincial Park Marina.

Take heart for you are not alone. The joy of simply sailing is enough for the soul.

Fair Winds
T34C likes this.
Old 07-04-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Lake Travis in Austin.

And I'm with Morm - just being out there is what counts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-04-2011
Both ends are pointy.

Thanks! You're my first reply, and I was beginning to get desperate. Even as your reply popped into my email I was reading a post saying "When I read about lake or river sailing I think Why bother? "

Just because I like it.
Old 07-04-2011

garyguss is on a distinguished road
Sailing the Ohio river near Louisville, 30 boats every wednesday mostly Cruisers. Also sailing a San Juan 21 at Barren River lake a Corp of Engineers impoundment at Port Oliver Yacht Club.. Dont give up, there are lots of us out there.
Old 07-04-2011

jfurlong is on a distinguished road
I used to sail on Lake Lanier in Atlanta. After that I sailed on Lake Michigan (admittedly quite different than what you're talking about). I'm currrently sailing on the Pacific out of Mission Bay, CA (San Diego). All three had their plusses and minus', and I don't consider any of the experiences a waste of time. if circumstances forced me back away from the coast, then I would sail on a lake or river.
Old 07-04-2011

benajah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkrig View Post
Thanks! You're my first reply, and I was beginning to get desperate. Even as your reply popped into my email I was reading a post saying "When I read about lake or river sailing I think Why bother? "
Where I live in the SF Bay area sailing is crazy popular, and if you think about it, most people don't go any further away from their marina than you would be limited to on a larger lake.
In fact, I am considering selling my 27 footer to get a trailerable boat instead, just so I can go lake sailing.
I've never sailed on a lake, but if the wind is good I think it would be a blast.
Old 07-04-2011
RNC725

RNC725 is on a distinguished road
Lake Thurmond, GA/SC

1,200 miles of shoreline, 71,000 acres of water, perfect for gunkholing. Best of all my dock is 27 minutes from my home, 16 minutes from my office. We take her out a lot of weekends if we are in town, tons of long holiday weekends and I'm always looking for a reason -- good or not --- to go check on the boat or take out someone on the boat.

All freshwater, some day we may just have her shipped down to the coast and head south -- or not. Once we tie up to the dock and button her up, we are just a bit from the house so we are able to take her out a lot and we love it.

To each their own, we'd love to be on the ocean but duty requires us to stay home so we are quite grateful for the large lake to sail. We see eagles, deer, fox, hear owls a hootin', swim, nap, grill and repeat...

Water is water to me, I take what I can get and am grateful as I've found most sailors are.

Bobby Centers
s/v CIRCLE
1967 Cal-30
Augusta, GA
Old 07-04-2011
Both ends are pointy.

That really sounds beautiful!

Just because I like it.
Old 07-05-2011

LakePirate is on a distinguished road
On the great lake of Texoma.
Is there a way to make this a poll?
Runshari (04-21-2014)