SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Just a reminder: (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/75930-just-reminder.html)

flyingwelshman 07-05-2011 08:53 AM

Just a reminder:

After having been buzzed by more boats than I can recall, and having heard about many injuries (and fatalities) that resulted from diver-boat interactions, I am happy to see that more information is being presented to help prevent this.

I fly the 'Diver Down' flag:
http://images.marketplaceadvisor.cha..._dive_flag.gif

As well as the Alpha flag:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/r...s/alfaflag.jpg

when I dive off my boat. I still get many vessels (granted they're mostly powerboats or PWC's) driving right over me when I'm submerged.

Here is a PSA produced by DAN (Divers Alert Network) (I hope it get's widely distributed):
(click on link): Dive Flag Awareness Public Service Announcement

nolatom 07-05-2011 09:25 AM

As a lifelong sailor, and more recently a recreational diver also, I second that emotion.

Please stay well clear (let's say 500 feet) of dive flags.

And at night, if you see a red-white-red vertical light combo, that boat can't maneuver out of your way. They may or may not be dive boats. So please 'go around'.

Some dive boats 'drift' over their divers-down, due to current that makes an anchored location impractical (like the reefs off S. Fla with the Gulf Stream current). So even though they're maneuverable, they can't leave their divers.

If for any reason (meaning navigational safety) you (and other passing boats) can't easily miss them, then radio the dive boat and tell them the situation so they can move if necessary. If you work with each other rather than just cussing out each other's location and sailing/powering away mad, you can make it work. Some of those divers or boat captains are sailors, they'll know what's up.

Here's a new Public Service Announcement on the topic:

YouTube - ‪Dive Flag Awareness Public Service Announcement‬‏

E32Strider 07-05-2011 04:41 PM

One word: Paintball gun. (For your surface support team.) Oh two words, but, you get the idea.

MarkCK 07-05-2011 06:17 PM

I hate to advertise my ignorance but...I know/have seen the diver down flag many times. What does the Alpha flag signify. And is it alway used in conjunction with diver down flag?

Boasun 07-05-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkCK (Post 747180)
I hate to advertise my ignorance but...I know/have seen the diver down flag many times. What does the Alpha flag signify. And is it alway used in conjunction with diver down flag?

The diver's flag with the red field and a white diagonal stripe is the amature's diver's flag. Used mainly in the USA.

The Alpha flag IS THE diver,s flag for every one. As in accordance with the International Code of Signals. Pub H.O. 102.

This pub is available on line for naught or you can get your own copy at any marine store like; West Marine or even here at sailnet.

Boasun 07-05-2011 06:59 PM

One other detail: When the dive boat has divers down they are considered to be "Restricted in their Maneuverbility", Thus you have to go around them giving them the sea room necessary for the safety of their divers. That means that cutting close to them is a very big NO NO! You all do know the rule 18 from the Rules of the Road, Right?? That is the pecking order of who has right of way or the stand on vessel and who don't have that status.

Minnewaska 07-05-2011 07:10 PM

The Alpha Flag signifies the vessel's restricted ability to maneuver, which is the case when launching or retrieving divers. The US diver down flag should be flown over the diver's themselves.

Boasun 07-05-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 747208)
The Alpha Flag signifies the vessel's restricted ability to maneuver, which is the case when launching or retrieving divers. The US diver down flag should be flown over the diver's themselves.

A lot of dive vessel's divers are on tethers/ubinical lines/hoses... And the Alpha Flag is flown. Stay away. Especially here off of Louisiana & Texas. The divers are working and Their safety is of top concerns for those of us who work off shore and not using the Gulf as a playground.

Minnewaska 07-05-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boasun (Post 747227)
A lot of dive vessel's divers are on tethers/ubinical lines/hoses... And the Alpha Flag is flown. Stay away. Especially here off of Louisiana & Texas. The divers are working and Their safety is of top concerns for those of us who work off shore and not using the Gulf as a playground.

I don't need to be convinced. I used to train divers when I was in my 20s.

In the US, the red/ wht strip is simply more recognized and this thread seemed to be recreationally based. I could be wrong.

Boasun 07-05-2011 10:17 PM

There is a push for recreational boaters to recognise the Alpha flag. Some of them are poorly trained in flag recognitions. And I'm being polite in saying that. Very polite.