Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Just a reminder:

After having been buzzed by more boats than I can recall, and having heard about many injuries (and fatalities) that resulted from diver-boat interactions, I am happy to see that more information is being presented to help prevent this.

I fly the 'Diver Down' flag:

As well as the Alpha flag:

when I dive off my boat. I still get many vessels (granted they're mostly powerboats or PWC's) driving right over me when I'm submerged.

Here is a PSA produced by DAN (Divers Alert Network) (I hope it get's widely distributed):
(click on link): Dive Flag Awareness Public Service Announcement

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2011

nolatom will become famous soon enough
As a lifelong sailor, and more recently a recreational diver also, I second that emotion.

Please stay well clear (let's say 500 feet) of dive flags.

And at night, if you see a red-white-red vertical light combo, that boat can't maneuver out of your way. They may or may not be dive boats. So please 'go around'.

Some dive boats 'drift' over their divers-down, due to current that makes an anchored location impractical (like the reefs off S. Fla with the Gulf Stream current). So even though they're maneuverable, they can't leave their divers.

If for any reason (meaning navigational safety) you (and other passing boats) can't easily miss them, then radio the dive boat and tell them the situation so they can move if necessary. If you work with each other rather than just cussing out each other's location and sailing/powering away mad, you can make it work. Some of those divers or boat captains are sailors, they'll know what's up.

Here's a new Public Service Announcement on the topic:

YouTube - ‪Dive Flag Awareness Public Service Announcement‬‏

Last edited by nolatom; 07-05-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2011
Boat designer

E32Strider is on a distinguished road
One word: Paintball gun. (For your surface support team.) Oh two words, but, you get the idea.
Old 07-05-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
I hate to advertise my ignorance but...I know/have seen the diver down flag many times. What does the Alpha flag signify. And is it alway used in conjunction with diver down flag?
Old 07-05-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCK View Post
I hate to advertise my ignorance but...I know/have seen the diver down flag many times. What does the Alpha flag signify. And is it alway used in conjunction with diver down flag?
The diver's flag with the red field and a white diagonal stripe is the amature's diver's flag. Used mainly in the USA.

The Alpha flag IS THE diver,s flag for every one. As in accordance with the International Code of Signals. Pub H.O. 102.

This pub is available on line for naught or you can get your own copy at any marine store like; West Marine or even here at sailnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 07-05-2011

One other detail: When the dive boat has divers down they are considered to be "Restricted in their Maneuverbility", Thus you have to go around them giving them the sea room necessary for the safety of their divers. That means that cutting close to them is a very big NO NO! You all do know the rule 18 from the Rules of the Road, Right?? That is the pecking order of who has right of way or the stand on vessel and who don't have that status.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 07-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
The Alpha Flag signifies the vessel's restricted ability to maneuver, which is the case when launching or retrieving divers. The US diver down flag should be flown over the diver's themselves.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The Alpha Flag signifies the vessel's restricted ability to maneuver, which is the case when launching or retrieving divers. The US diver down flag should be flown over the diver's themselves.
A lot of dive vessel's divers are on tethers/ubinical lines/hoses... And the Alpha Flag is flown. Stay away. Especially here off of Louisiana & Texas. The divers are working and Their safety is of top concerns for those of us who work off shore and not using the Gulf as a playground.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 07-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
A lot of dive vessel's divers are on tethers/ubinical lines/hoses... And the Alpha Flag is flown. Stay away. Especially here off of Louisiana & Texas. The divers are working and Their safety is of top concerns for those of us who work off shore and not using the Gulf as a playground.
I don't need to be convinced. I used to train divers when I was in my 20s.

In the US, the red/ wht strip is simply more recognized and this thread seemed to be recreationally based. I could be wrong.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-05-2011

There is a push for recreational boaters to recognise the Alpha flag. Some of them are poorly trained in flag recognitions. And I'm being polite in saying that. Very polite.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.