Is it worth the trouble to take a "NEW" deilivery in Europe ? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
I have also contemplated purchasing a used vessel in Europe, to cruise there and subsequently sail back. But something more wholesome than the 409.
Don't tell me, Is it something like HR or higher. You are killing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Europe is a big place where were you thinking of leaving from?

But if you can wait for good weather windows and leave the canaries when the trades are established [ January usually ] you should havbe a great downhill sail to the USA - ENJOY!
I don't know exactly, but I saw a few ads on YW aiming for the North America customers. One was in Spain and other was in France.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 07-06-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
1. We've found our Jeanneau to be very seaworthy. We often find ourselves saying, "she don't care". Long story on that phrase, but it comes out when she takes what she is dealt. Just a few weeks ago, we had her double reefed in near 30 kts while she sailed very comfortably on a close reach.

2. Nope. We picked this design for her sailing ability and layout.

3. Unfortunately, I understand your concern. The 54DS was only made for about 5 or 6 years and was their flagship at the time. It is all real teak inside and the quality of everything from seacocks to doorknobs is higher than what they build today. Mine is now 6 years old. The story is that France banned the import of teak from non sustainable harvesters. When Jeanneau and Benneteau couldn't get enough, they went to the less expensive "manufactured" teak. In the process, they also went less expensive on the rest of the boat to be a stronger price competitor.
Good to hear that your boat was made from real teak. Obviously, it is a bold move for Jeanneau to decide to compete the low end market of sailing.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-06-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Good to hear that your boat was made from real teak. Obviously, it is a bold move for Jeanneau to decide to compete the low end market of sailing.
Jeanneau always competed for the value driven customer, it is a production boat. One I am very happy with and I'm sure you will be too. If you are looking for a custom, top of the line hand build, you will pay two or three times more.

Best of luck. If you want any state side Jeanneau sales resources, just drop me a PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-06-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Not sure about Jeanneau dealers, but north of me in Vancouver BC is a Hanse dealer, and THEY HAVE the ability to spec a boat to US stds, deliver in Europe, sail there for IIRC 6 months VAT free, then make sure you are WAY the hecko out of dodge, or they WILL come looking for the VAT! so plan it for 3-5 months there, then leave for the US. Be it sailing yourself here, or get it on a ship for transport some how.

As far as a JEanneau goes, price them for delivery over there, and see if the model you want is being built here! take the better deal per say. Along with an announcement recently for a 44DS model after the 439, a 469 and a 509.

As far as the teak goes, have to say it is rather ugly, I do prefer my teak plywood in my 85 vs the new last few years versions. The new does sorta kinda grow on you. Yes, Jeanneau has always been value ie Chevy priced if you will, as is Beneteau, Catalina, Hunter a bit less etc.

Marty
Old 07-06-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
......Yes, Jeanneau has always been value ie Chevy priced if you will, as is Beneteau, Catalina, Hunter a bit less etc.
I may be biased, and this might be silly, but I would equate Jeanneau as the Cadillac of production boats (ie higher end high volume production). They are not BMWs or Mercedes finish quality, but have most of the same stuff.

The pitch for the manufactured teak is that it can be easily replaced, if damaged. That's probably true, since they paint on the grain, it can be exactly replicated.

The only actual experience I have with this new product was on a rented Benneteau in Tortola. That boat was practically falling apart in front of our eyes. The bench seat was torn off the floor, as it was only screwed from below into pressed fiber board (the manufactured teak). Cockpit table was broken, stove didn't work at all, one fresh water tank vent was blocked. The boat was only a few months new and I think we were the third crew out on her. However, I do believe that Jeanneau's are built a bit tougher than Bene's. That's my only experience with one, so others may disagree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-06-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I would agree that Jeanneau is built a BIT better than Bene. And it is possible the Jeanneau is more in line with a caddy, or olds or pontiac, not that some of these are being built any more. Like all things great and small, opinions do vary. It could be Jeanneau is a chevy, Hunter a Kia or other lower end YET boat. No matter how it is built per say, MOST folks do seem to agree, you get a LOT for the money overall. A good owners group that is forming in many places, a good online presence at Jeanneau-owners.com for troubles with other owners to type to etc.

Then again, while one can complain about the type of finish wood used etc. I am not real happy with the fiberglass beds on my 05 chevvy pickup, one crow bar at 50 mph, and the WHOLE side panel needs to be replaced, nor does it hold as much wt on a pipe/lumber rack as my ALL metal beds have in the past. SO MANY companies and things are making items sometimes better, but not as strong or equal.

A reason for the bene issue, many are sailed there on their hull from france, in in the process, get slammed by BAD weather as they are trying to MAKE a deadline, instead of waiting a few days or a week. Or the delivery driver does not take the better lighter wind route, not that this should matter. As these boats are rated to take a certain wind/wave strength. If they are not, they should be down rated, or upgraded to meed the rating(s).

Marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 07-06-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-06-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
I have posted this but it went away so I will not be so patient or detailed:

Rock: You will not have a problem with insurance providing they accept your "credentials" as a sailor (they may accept your previous experience with other boats). Problems with insurance are mainly with old boats. If you are for real I can put you in contact with a Pantaenius dealer and he will give you a quote.

My Bavaria 36 was insured in all coasts of Europe, all Med and in the Atlantic till Azores included and at the same price than for just the Med. I don't believe that if you make a sole extension to cover a single crossing in the right season it will be much more expensive.

Regarding price comparison I was interested in the 409 so I have offers for the boat and extras and if yo want I can send them to you. I also managed a 20% discount on a dealer that probably I can pass to you.

Buying in Europe would be interesting mainly because that way you can cruise here with only one crossing instead of two, but I would take more than a month to do that. Three months cruising here should amount to something

Regards

Paulo
Old 07-08-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
tdw-
There is no US sales tax. Our states often have sales tax, our national government does not.

Dawg-
"I may bring it into NC for better sale tax advantage" No sales tax, because the sale is out of state. Use tax may apply. ". I will talk to my accountant for sure" Best choice you could make.
I'd expect import duty and use tax (if NC has that) and IIRC there's also a personal property tax that may vary by county there?
Figure the economics also have to include a three or four week vacation, because you'll need to get there, commission the boat, seatrial it, expect to spend somewhere between two days and a week fixing and provisioning...and then the return trip and you may very well need to wait for a weather window.
There may also be some options similar to those for buying a car in the EU: If the boat is kept in the EU (or at least, out of the US) for a set period, and then brought in, it may qualify as a USED vessel rather than a new one. If your accountant is familiar with the issues or has good research skills......