Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
July Magazine Article - Break On Through

In this months issue of the magazine we have an article purporting to be a strategy for transiting "pirate territory"...where the "primary defensive tactic will be to" throw polypropylene lines into the pirates props..and to plan to spend "a couple of months" crossing "pirate alley". Is this a game that they can simply reset or warp out of when need be....and get a redo?

After practice they get this down to a mere 9 minutes prep ...are the pirates going to wait while this happens?

Me thinks that this writer has been watching too many of the failed attempts of the weekly reality clowns and whales and japan, oh my!?!

And to be in a mainstream sail magazine of all places as a realistic approach to piracy. Too many hits? American arrogance? Naive? Stupid? AND choosing to bring along the kids.

Perhaps this was written before the latest slaughter by the pirates, but still no excuse to encourage such stupid behavior on the water.

People who will choose this tactic, are going to be killed ....or worse....much worse.

Sheesh, when will America learn that some people simple want to kill you..and take what you have.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
What magazine KD ?

My thought on pirate infested areas is to keep well away. It beggars believe why anyone would deliberately put themselves into such a stressful situation when it is in no way necessary.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-05-2011

sorry, Sail Magazine, this month
Old 07-05-2011

acunningham is on a distinguished road
It's completely unreasonable to expect this tactic to work in anything but the most contrived situation. You could always test it by having a friend or relation "attack" your boat from a tender. Use an old worn out outboard motor in case you damage it. I predict they'll easily avoid your "defences" - all they have to do is approach from your bow as you sail along.
Old 07-06-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
I still prefer a set of reinforced and cushioned fender boards each supporting a brace of remotely controlled Claymores! Let the games begin!

Or, just stay the hell away from these dangerous waters.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 07-06-2011 at 04:48 AM. Reason: content
Old 07-06-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
In this months issue of the magazine we have an article purporting to be a strategy for transiting "pirate territory"...where the "primary defensive tactic will be to" throw polypropylene lines into the pirates props..and to plan to spend "a couple of months" crossing "pirate alley". Is this a game that they can simply reset or warp out of when need be....and get a redo?

After practice they get this down to a mere 9 minutes prep ...are the pirates going to wait while this happens?

Me thinks that this writer has been watching too many of the failed attempts of the weekly reality clowns and whales and japan, oh my!?!

And to be in a mainstream sail magazine of all places as a realistic approach to piracy. Too many hits? American arrogance? Naive? Stupid? AND choosing to bring along the kids.

Perhaps this was written before the latest slaughter by the pirates, but still no excuse to encourage such stupid behavior on the water.

People who will choose this tactic, are going to be killed ....or worse....much worse.

Sheesh, when will America learn that some people simple want to kill you..and take what you have.

Thoughts?
It appears you may have misunderstood what the author was saying…

Their “primary defensive strategy” was to have all the boats traveling together in a diamond-shaped formation close ranks by having the lead boats slow down, and the rest of the formation converge to the center… At the distance between each other they were maintaining, the entire procedure took approximately 9 minutes… I took the reference to the use of tossing floating lines to simply be to one of many things an individual boat might resort to if being threatened, certainly not their primary strategy…

All in all, I thought it was a fairly good account of how one group of sailors chose to deal with the threat. If you’re gonna choose to sail through those waters, their strategy seemed about as good as any, I suppose… The article certainly makes clear the difficulties involved in traveling in such a convoy, and I suspect the joking reference to posing as great a threat to each other at night as the threat posed by pirates is not all that far from the truth…

I certainly don’t view SAIL’s publication of this account as any sort of “endorsement” that the Red Sea route can be safely transited by taking proper precautions… I think the story speaks for itself, although I do wonder why no mention was made whatsoever about the question of whether to travel armed, or not.. That’s usually the first thing to arise, at least when a group of American boats are involved – I suspect the author was simply using her discretion on that, perhaps not wishing to identify or imply that certain boats may have been traveling armed…

In fairness to these people, they were committed to sailing this route prior to the recent rash of attacks against yachts this season (they learned of the murders of the crew of QUEST during a stop in Yemen) I would never sail that route myself, but I don’t see anything in that account that suggests doing so involves anything less than an extremely high level of risk, and that they were indeed very lucky to have made it though unscathed…
Old 07-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
It appears you may have misunderstood what the author was saying…
I hope so. to spend a "few nights" at a marina, where the rioting was taking place, to take weeks to get through this, as if it were a tour group...and to subject their underage kids to this..

Oh never mind, I have spent too much time on this already. Just bewildered that any one would buy this touchy/feely stuff to mitigate the reality of death or worse by pirate. And that a magazine would actually publish it, with all the other worthwhile sail info out there.

I guess they had to "offset" Fatty's more realistic story a few months back
Old 07-11-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
Just bewildered that any one would buy this touchy/feely stuff to mitigate the reality of death or worse by pirate. And that a magazine would actually publish it, with all the other worthwhile sail info out there.

I guess they had to "offset" Fatty's more realistic story a few months back
Well, it appears they've gotten their money's worth out of their little adventure... Looks like this month's OCEAN NAVIGATOR features a virtually identical article (haven't read it yet, appears to be longer and offer greater detail), featuring some of the same photographs, written by her husband... LOL!

Hmmm, not sure that's the best way to cultivate a relationship with the editors at sailing magazines, with duplicate submissions like that, however... (grin)

In fairness, the fault might lie with one of the publications, they sometimes sit on a submission for an inordinate period, without keeping the author apprised of their intention to publish, or not.... Doesn't seem likely with a subject as recent and timely as this one, however...
Old 07-11-2011

SPC is on a distinguished road
Here is my wild idea. Post ships in international waters, one at each end of the more dangerous passages, and rent very serious firepower with or without a mercenary for the passage. I've seen weapons for sale at an Arkansas gun show that should do the trick.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.