SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

July Magazine Article - Break On Through

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  SPC 
#1 ·
In this months issue of the magazine we have an article purporting to be a strategy for transiting "pirate territory"...where the "primary defensive tactic will be to" throw polypropylene lines into the pirates props..and to plan to spend "a couple of months" crossing "pirate alley". Is this a game that they can simply reset or warp out of when need be....and get a redo?

After practice they get this down to a mere 9 minutes prep ...are the pirates going to wait while this happens?

Me thinks that this writer has been watching too many of the failed attempts of the weekly reality clowns and whales and japan, oh my!?!

And to be in a mainstream sail magazine of all places as a realistic approach to piracy. Too many hits? American arrogance? Naive? Stupid? AND choosing to bring along the kids.

Perhaps this was written before the latest slaughter by the pirates, but still no excuse to encourage such stupid behavior on the water.

People who will choose this tactic, are going to be killed ....or worse....much worse.

Sheesh, when will America learn that some people simple want to kill you..and take what you have.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
What magazine KD ?

My thought on pirate infested areas is to keep well away. It beggars believe why anyone would deliberately put themselves into such a stressful situation when it is in no way necessary.

#4 ·
It's completely unreasonable to expect this tactic to work in anything but the most contrived situation. You could always test it by having a friend or relation "attack" your boat from a tender. Use an old worn out outboard motor in case you damage it. I predict they'll easily avoid your "defences" - all they have to do is approach from your bow as you sail along.

#6 ·
In this months issue of the magazine we have an article purporting to be a strategy for transiting "pirate territory"...where the "primary defensive tactic will be to" throw polypropylene lines into the pirates props..and to plan to spend "a couple of months" crossing "pirate alley". Is this a game that they can simply reset or warp out of when need be....and get a redo?

After practice they get this down to a mere 9 minutes prep ...are the pirates going to wait while this happens?

Me thinks that this writer has been watching too many of the failed attempts of the weekly reality clowns and whales and japan, oh my!?!

And to be in a mainstream sail magazine of all places as a realistic approach to piracy. Too many hits? American arrogance? Naive? Stupid? AND choosing to bring along the kids.

Perhaps this was written before the latest slaughter by the pirates, but still no excuse to encourage such stupid behavior on the water.

People who will choose this tactic, are going to be killed ....or worse....much worse.

Sheesh, when will America learn that some people simple want to kill you..and take what you have.

Thoughts?
It appears you may have misunderstood what the author was saying…

Their "primary defensive strategy" was to have all the boats traveling together in a diamond-shaped formation close ranks by having the lead boats slow down, and the rest of the formation converge to the center… At the distance between each other they were maintaining, the entire procedure took approximately 9 minutes… I took the reference to the use of tossing floating lines to simply be to one of many things an individual boat might resort to if being threatened, certainly not their primary strategy…

All in all, I thought it was a fairly good account of how one group of sailors chose to deal with the threat. If you're gonna choose to sail through those waters, their strategy seemed about as good as any, I suppose… The article certainly makes clear the difficulties involved in traveling in such a convoy, and I suspect the joking reference to posing as great a threat to each other at night as the threat posed by pirates is not all that far from the truth…

I certainly don't view SAIL's publication of this account as any sort of "endorsement" that the Red Sea route can be safely transited by taking proper precautions… I think the story speaks for itself, although I do wonder why no mention was made whatsoever about the question of whether to travel armed, or not.. That's usually the first thing to arise, at least when a group of American boats are involved - I suspect the author was simply using her discretion on that, perhaps not wishing to identify or imply that certain boats may have been traveling armed…

In fairness to these people, they were committed to sailing this route prior to the recent rash of attacks against yachts this season (they learned of the murders of the crew of QUEST during a stop in Yemen) I would never sail that route myself, but I don't see anything in that account that suggests doing so involves anything less than an extremely high level of risk, and that they were indeed very lucky to have made it though unscathed…

#7 ·
It appears you may have misunderstood what the author was saying…
I hope so. to spend a "few nights" at a marina, where the rioting was taking place, to take weeks to get through this, as if it were a tour group...and to subject their underage kids to this..

Oh never mind, I have spent too much time on this already. Just bewildered that any one would buy this touchy/feely stuff to mitigate the reality of death or worse by pirate. And that a magazine would actually publish it, with all the other worthwhile sail info out there.

I guess they had to "offset" Fatty's more realistic story a few months back

#9 ·
Here is my wild idea. Post ships in international waters, one at each end of the more dangerous passages, and rent very serious firepower with or without a mercenary for the passage. I've seen weapons for sale at an Arkansas gun show that should do the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.