Need Help: Boat Damage - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 07-07-2011 Thread Starter

Thank you for all your input! Its actually the other guys insurance that is cutting me the check, so no insurance increase for me. I found a guy who works at a yard who will come help me with the process for nothing more than some friendly beers. I do like the idea of putting some angled aluminum or metal on there for the next time...

Thanks again.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 07-07-2011

I like wetass's answer. I had an insurance claim and the agent told me not to file as the amount ($1200) wasn't worth having my rates raised for three years by about 20% or more! As noted above, fiberglass work is not demanding, you just need to take your time and be meticulous. There are several good books out there. Also,unless you have seen a sample of your friends work in fiberglass and you were happy, I'd pass.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
...Fiberglass repair is not rocket science...
Hey, hey, hey...

The only rocket science about the repair is the paint color match, and blending it to the old gelcoat.

I would do a combo repair on this project; do the fiberglass filling/sanding/prepping yourself, and then hire the more technical painting out. This approach should net you about $1000 of that insurance money in your own pocket -plenty of beers to go around for everybody!

Rob
Wauquiez Pretorien 35
post #14 of 15 Old 07-07-2011

Still, be careful with the insurance piece - I may be wrong here, so someone jump in and correct me, but I dont think they care who is at fault, its if you have been in an accident. I think the question on the insurance forms are something along the lines of "have you been in an accident in the last 5 years".
post #15 of 15 Old 07-07-2011

I had a weather related claim that happened at the marina while I was away. I understand it cost me a 10% increase in premium the next year. The claim, however, was about 5 times the annual premium. Nevertheless, I was told that a simple yes to where you've had a claim (not whether you've had an accident) will drive the premium up.

That concept really ticks me off, btw. I understand that if an operator proves to be more reckless than average, they should pay a higher risk premium. However, no one can manage the weather. They are just recovering their losses, which seems to fly in the face of why we buy insurance in the first place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.