Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011

bizirka is on a distinguished road
Need Help: Boat Damage

Hi All,

I hope the picture posts: Got hit in a weekly beer can race. I got an estimate between 2-3K for the work including haul out plus a week with out my boat.

Two options:
1) Keep the insurance money and try to fix it myself
2) Spend the 2-3K and get it done by a professoinal

How hard will it be to fix this? I am not very handy but got some friends who like beer and playing with stuff. I also would want it to look good, but I am not sure how hard this job is. It is just gel coat no structrual fiberglass was damaged.

Thanks for your input!
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help: Boat Damage-boat.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
It does not look too bad. But since you are not handy, I would just pass and have someone makes the money. Be happy.

I mentioned your friends can do it. But have you seen their work? Done on time and finished cleanly. If the answer is no, you know what you should do.

Good luck..

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-05-2011

bogdog is on a distinguished road
Depends on how fussy you are. If it were me, I would shape a strip of aluminum angle (2" or so) to fit nicely the same angle of the bow. Grind the edges to make a smooth transition to the fiberglass. Fill and fare out the damaged fiberglass with thickened epoxy and epoxy it to the hull. Maybe even a couple of self tapping screws to secure it. It would then be ready for the next roughing up. I did this with my hard bottom dingy's rib keel that wore thin from pulling it up on beaches and boat landings. Worked great.
Old 07-05-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I don't see the aluminum or fastener needs. I just see a grinding and cosmetic epoxy fill with a suitable matched white of one part epoxy paint. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 07-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I would temporarily seal anything that might allow water penetration. One chunk looks possible, but the res I'm seeing isn't good. Then I would deal with it next I was on the hard for an extended period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-06-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
You're not handy, and it doesn't cost you a penny as the insurance is paying. The only downside is you're without your boat for a week, not to mention beer and cosmetic glass work isn't really a good combination. Get it done properly.
Old 07-07-2011
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
If I couldn't do it myself, I'd hire it done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Old 07-07-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
If insurance will pay, it's only a week. If they won't, a case of Sam Adams at the end of the job to a good friend.
Old 07-07-2011
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
Personally speaking, I'd do the work myself. Fiberglass repair is not rocket science and the more you can do yourself the more independent you'll be and less reliant on others.

Be a McGyver!
Old 07-07-2011

Wetass is on a distinguished road
Make sure your insurance doesn't go up if you make a claim. Might not be worth it in the long run to take the money now if you can do it yourself.

Ifs its really only gelcoat, thats a 2 (maybe 3) evenings after work type of repair - I vote for fix it yourself. Get some 3m premium filler, some preval sprayers, some PVA, styrene for thinning and have a shop make up a pint/quart of matched gelcoat for you. You can get the filler and gelcoat down one night and then sand and polish the next. Not hard at all and no insurance premium increase.