Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Murphy's Law & "Gale Force Winds"

My boys are off for two weeks from school. We have two boats (16ft mono, 13ft multi) ready to take out. I've sorted out wetsuits, purchased new life-jackets, gone through the rigging on both boats to ensure we're all set, and even made sure that the boats are out the front of all others at the sail club to make it easy for us to wheel them out into the water.

And what do we get in return? A warning from the Bureau of Meteorology warning of gale force winds. One day I'm going to be introduced to somone called Murphy and wind up arrested for beating on the guy.

I know it could be alot worse, but it really gets to me when I disappoint my kids. Not to mention I too would have loved a few days on & off the lake with them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Given that Gale Warnings are only current for a certain area and generally only for a day.. why are you giving up so soon??

What's stopping you taking them down to the Club anyway, wandering along the shore, watching the waves crashing on the beach and hearing the wind in the rigging? That sort of experience will at least teach them to respect the elements..

..and that tomorrow's weather is different to today's.
Old 07-05-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Oh, I'm keeping an eye on the weather. Even have the local forecast at Willy Weather as the second-most most frequented site in my browser at the moment. As you say, tomorrow's weather might be better... even if the weather man says it's not.

Aside from the gale winds warning, the wind is looking a little dicey over the next couple of days. The Maricat isn't rigged for high winds (we'll be raking the mast back more when my eldest gets the hang of things) and I'll be honest about my skills in the Corsair not being up to solo-handling gusts adding ten knots to existing predictions of wind speed. I'm just not there yet.

For what it is worth, I'm not giving up on time with the boys around the water or around the boats. We've been rugging them up and taking them walking along the lake and along the beach. The boys explored one of the tiny lake islands they've put a bridge too yesterday (quite the adventure for the younger three), and they were collecting shells & dodging waves on the beach on Sunday.

Being who I am, it takes alot more than adverse weather to stop me taking the boys out to the water.

On the other hand, being who I am means I won't be taking the boys out in weather I cannot handle when there is no rescue boat out given the official sailing season being over. Another year on the water and I'd probably have the self-confidence (and perhaps a larger boat) to take the boys out in such conditions as are predicted.

OK, now I really sound like a whinger!
Old 07-05-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Well given that in Sydney right now it is dead calm ....

The mountains took a beating last night, my poor old sainted muvva's without power the poor dear.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-05-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Well.. if it helps...

We had an earthquake yesterday (we only FELT it here), but not a Christchurch-sized one by any means.
Old 07-06-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
I'm going out of town this weekend and I was supposed to bring a boat to take some friends out sailing.

The forecast is to be 102F and next to no wind. Yuck!

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 07-06-2011
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
In aviation we say it is better to be on the ground wishing you were flying then the inverse. Sometimes it does not hurt to take a look but always have a way out.

Jerry
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.

Bruce Lee

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING OUR PRESENT LAWS NOW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.