Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011

turbulicity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I beleive that a list is essential and may be more important to some individuals. But I hate list because I am a rebel. In most case common sense prevails. Having a list in compliance with it does not save your life.

For example, everyone has a medical emergency kit on board. Many just buy an overpriced kit from WM. If you look into what in there, it is so absurd. It won't save your life if your life depends on it. So having the kit is no more than just a placebo effect.

For my approach is practice, practice and practice especially in the adverse condition. Think about what if. Look for holes and deficiencies in your knowledge and inventories. Correct as you go.
Agreed and Barquito makes a good point too. The list here is a good tool to get some information out of the more experienced here. I won't be going to the WM with this list printed out But some things are just plain dumb (on my part) not to have on board now.
Old 07-08-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Coyote Point marina makes a good target for a first sail past the bridge. You have to leave early-ish, and resign yourself to motoring to at least the end of the channel, or even to the bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Coyote Point marina makes a good target for a first sail past the bridge. You have to leave early-ish, and resign yourself to motoring to at least the end of the channel, or even to the bridge.
Problem is that I go out at flood tide to time my return at high slack. A few hours of sailing is the limit with my son for now. I end up going against the current and wind. I open up sails in the redwood channel near the Westpoint entrance. Next time, hopefully, I will motor past the San Mateo bridge and head to Sausalito, spend the night there and come back downwind under sail all the way home. That's after having some more equipment off the list onboard and convincing my wife that I am good to go. Unless I can arrange an experienced friend to come along for the weekend.
Old 07-08-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I like your list, it looks pretty complete.

I would create a separate category for " Required" by law equipment.
To help you prioritize.

In that category would be:

Flares..within the expiration date
Horn
Bell
Type 1V throwable device - floating line
Fire extinguishers.
Navigation Lights.

I would then begin to classify some "essential". really should have equipment

Working VHF - + emergency VHF antenna

You have a primary anchor, which I consider essential safety equipment, so the secondary is desirable but optional.

I would have tools and " essential" spare engine parts onboard:

Impeller
Alternator Belt
Primary and secondary fuel filters
Hose Clamps
Wooden Plugs or Soft Plugs..attached or near the seacocks and sized to fit.
Thermostat
Gasket material
Atomic Tape

Sail repair tape.
Manual Bilge Pump - you may have one already built in.

After that, you can prioritize the rest of your list as time, money and need allow.

A handheld VHF and a Handheld GPS would be high on my list.. as soon as extra money allows.
Old 07-08-2011

Thanks tempest. I updated the list and added some colors to emphasize the required and essentials items:

Safety equipment aboard and priorities
Old 07-08-2011
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Turb,

This may be relevant or maybe not...

Based on your original description of the condition of your GS, I'd think about making one of your initial investments into verifying that your propulsion, external plumbing and electrics are safe and sound. My thought is that most of the items on your list are reactive gadgets (i.e. something to deploy once things go wrong.) Time spent reducing your risk for underway hair fire drills is time (and money) well spent. Just a thought -- since you're already living aboard, this may be a moot point.

After that, I concur with the recommendation to segregate your list into "must have", "should have" and "would be nice to have."
Old 07-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Turb,

This may be relevant or maybe not...

Based on your original description of the condition of your GS, I'd think about making one of your initial investments into verifying that your propulsion, external plumbing and electrics are safe and sound. My thought is that most of the items on your list are reactive gadgets (i.e. something to deploy once things go wrong.) Time spent reducing your risk for underway hair fire drills is time (and money) well spent. Just a thought -- since you're already living aboard, this may be a moot point.

After that, I concur with the recommendation to segregate your list into "must have", "should have" and "would be nice to have."
Good point. Preventative maintenance, repairs and improvements to the propulsion, wiring, plumbing etc... is an always ongoing project and one that I try to keep up with. But the purpose of this post is about what I will need when stuff goes wrong. The updated list now distinguishes between the must and should have and the rest.
Old 07-08-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Good list; very useful.

re: wooden plugs. I would attach the correct size wooden plug to each through hull. Also store a rubber mallet in an accessible location. You do not want to spit a wooden plug by hitting it with a steel hammer.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 07-08-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
USCG Aux Vessel Exam Checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
cb32863 makes a good point, in fact the first thing I thought of when I read your initial post. May I suggest you contact your local Coast Guard Auxiliary and get a (free) safety inspection? They won't/can't write tickets and may note some things that haven't made you list. In general the list from them is probably going to include the high priority items. Oh - move boat hook to the top of your list. *grin*
A link to the checklist that the auxiliary vessel examiners use: http://forms.cgaux.org/archive/a7012.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-09-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Have a look at the PIYA regs... for sailing in the Bay, look at category III. It's pretty close to ISAF category 5. This, plus the standard coast guard regs will get you there.

http://www.ussailing.net/piya/2011%2...ertificate.pdf

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.