SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Human Slobs

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  rikhall 
#1 ·
[Let me start out by saying when my gf surprised me on my B-day yesterday with a sunset sail cruise out past lido beach I was in ahhh. It was beautiful and made me think how much more I would rather be on the water then land most of the time.
But I can't believe the things we saw, Dolphins swimming and jumping out of the water, the haze of the sun as it slowly goes down and the but load of litter in our waters. Are you kidding me, the 3rd rated best beach in the country "they say" and it looks like crap. Earlier we were at Lido Beach all day and again nothing but plastic bottle caps, everywhere, and cigarette butts, just very trashy.
I know we had 4-5 days of some stormy weather here but give ma a break, this is absolutely embarrassing, know wonder Americans have such a bad and lazy name. If your gowning to enjoy these beaches and views don't you think you can pick your **** up and throw it away. There are designated recycle and garbage cans available at all the exits of the beach.
When we were out in are cruise there were 6 people anchored by a channel sign and in the water drinking and we were watching them throw there cancer sticks in the water. I wonder what else they threw in our waters.
The bottom line is it makes me sick to think that we are classified as lazy dumb Americans who just don't care and are going to ruin this for everybody. Pick your crap up and help save are beaches and waters, or stay the hell home. And what's worse is some of the younger dumber crowed think it's cool to litter.
I guess if know one cares then we have nothing to look forward to. And even the northerners who claim Florida there home and have lived here for ever, part time don't care ether. I think you sailors who spend your lives cruising these waters and enjoying these views might have the right idea. Living at sea and from place to place may just keep you from seeing and smelling how bad it really is.
I love these beaches and the waters and spent a better part of 30 min or so picking up after slobs. I do feel a bit better about those plastic objects not making it into the sea. But it wasn't even a dent...:D

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think it's just Americans, I'm sure there are people in other countries thoughtless about their trash.

That being said, it does seem like smokers who would not consider themselves litterers don't always think twice about crushing their butts on the ground and leaving them.

I even strongly encouraged my husband in my gentle, wifely way to not throw his butts over the side when we were sailing. He started putting a little water in a soda bottle and disposing of them in there. Disgusting, but at least the butts disposed someplace more appropriate than the water.

Sooo happy he quit smoking....

#3 ·
I don't think it's just Americans, I'm sure there are people in other countries thoughtless about their trash.

That being said, it does seem like smokers who would not consider themselves litterers don't always think twice about crushing their butts on the ground and leaving them.

I even strongly encouraged my husband in my gentle, wifely way to not throw his butts over the side when we were sailing. He started putting a little water in a soda bottle and disposing of them in there. Disgusting, but at least the butts disposed someplace more appropriate than the water.

Sooo happy he quit smoking....
I don't really mind other to smoke and occasionally blow their smoke in my face. But I don't understand why smokers like to throw the cigarette butt on the side of the road while they are waiting at the light. For God's sake, the butts are not exactly biodegradable. They will be there 100 years from now.

We should kick their sorry asses to Singapore, and let them live there or a year.

Arrrgh….. I feel better now :)

#5 ·
\I am sick of seeing so much trash on our beaches and in the waters and on land. My dad use to tell me everything was better in the 50's. Streets were clean, people were polite to each other, and you could spank your child if you had to not worry about going to jail.
These lawyers have f##### everything up.

#6 ·
My dad use to tell me everything was better in the 50's.
I was driving through a First Nations area in Canada and stopped for gasoline. I saw this sign in one of their gas stations:

"'When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex.' Then the chief leaned back and smiled. 'Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that!"​

Rik

#8 ·
Hey all

A couple of thoughts, and no disrespect intended to anyone here, sincerely

Beaches should be considered sacred ground IMHO, no waste at all, cig butts and plastic included. Surely we can have one place that we don't destroy just because we can?
With that said;
Do a search on youtube on slaughterhouse beef and ask yourself are you really any better than the smokers(assuming you are not as vegetarian)

Drive by your local dump and ask yourself Would I buy land within 1 mile and drill a well? That's your garbage your looking at.

On a hot, humid summer day look at the smog hanging over your city, it came from your car.

The reality it is, again IMHO, we are screwing things up royally for us and the next multiple generations, smokers and non-smokers alike, plastic users and recyclers alike.

This coming from a beef eating, car driving and occasional smoker.

As to things being better in the fifty's, sure, assuming you were a white male, everyone else might dis-agree with you......

Not looking for a fight here, we have one planet with 5 oceans, and I plan on seeing them all one day, I would like to be able to do that without coke cans and cig butts slapping the hull is all.

John

#9 ·
Sure as hell ain't just Americans. Go anywhere these days and if there are people about then you will find the garbage. Still and all, that's the way we apparently are.

Reality is of course is that when there were half as many of us as there today, the amount of trash wasn't as obvious. Its only going to get worse as every day there are more and more of us.

#10 ·
These are all great and wonderful points of interest, and we all know there is a huge problem on are hands. My point to this is simple, I new there were issues but until I got into sailing and the magic that can be made of it. I did not realize it was this big. Are beach is a beautiful beach in Sarasota and Lido Beach is enjoyed by many. many adults and especially children. And after seeing what I saw in one day I have decided that I can take 1 day out of my life and help pick up trash. I will be doing it for me and teaching my children about our planet.
We can discus this until we are blue in the face, but we the point is we should all do our share, and just maybe someone else will catch on to this as well. I can only imagine what could be like to be at sea enjoying the vast beauty of the surroundings and to have trash hit the side of the hull. I am not trying to point fingers but was just curious on what others had to say, and it all makes damb good sence. Until this all figured out and dealt with, humans will be slobs. :D

#16 ·
My pet peeve is the juice boxes and juice pouches. They are floating everywhere. Wht is wrong with a reusable cup anyway? And the beer bottles of course.

The sad part is that even the people who claim to be environmentally sensitive still drive their SUV home to their manicured lawns. Most people are hypocrites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.