Tools for when it goes from 5 to 45 knots in ten minutes - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
...I recently read the flatter the top of the cloud formation. The stronger the wind will be. I never heard that before, but will take notice from now on. We never stop learning, and that's what makes these discussions great!............i2f
Google "Anvil clouds". An approaching "anvil cloud" formation foretells some serious weather/wind. Even if you can't see it because of sea haze or darkness, if you suddenly begin to feel "cool" zephyrs from one direction or another, you're in for it and a reef and a roll is in order. This is very common on the track from Cape Romano to Key West at night during the summer months. The squalls that make up over the Everglades are drawn out to sea at night. It can get real exciting, real fast. Whenever we head south at this time of year I always rig our third reef.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2011

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road
NWS saved my butt

couldn't see this one coming but the 1050 Hz TONE ALERT and report made it possible for me to make it back to my mooring in Manhasset before the crap hit the fan ... there's a LOT to be said for "Tools"!!!!

here's the wx summary from that day ....

...SUMMARY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK NY HAS CONFIRMED A
MICROBURST /STRAIGHT LINE WIND DAMAGE/ NEAR GREAT NECK IN NASSAU
COUNTY NY ON JUNE 24 2010.

AS A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM MOVED RAPIDLY SOUTHEAST ACROSS NORTHERN NASSAU COUNTY...IT PRODUCED SIGNIFICANT STRAIGHT LINE HIGH WINDS THAT DOWNED MANY TREES...SOME THAT FELL ON POWER LINES...HOUSES AND VEHICLES.

THE DAMAGE EXTENDED OVER A BROAD AREA EXTENDING FROM OLD POND ROAD EAST TO HAMPSHIRE ROAD...WITH DOWNED TREES FACING SOUTH AND EAST IN THOSE AREAS RESPECTIVELY IN A FANNED-OUT FASHION INDICATIVE OF A MICROBURST. THE MOST SEVERE DAMAGE IN THIS SWATH WAS CONCENTRATED ALONG OLD POND AND STRATHMORE ROADS...WITH DOZENS OF HEALTHY HARDWOOD AND PINE TREES UPROOTED OR SNAPPED IN TWO. THIS DAMAGE IS INDICATIVE OF MAXIMUM WINDS OF 100 MPH.

SEVERAL OTHER NEARBY AREAS ALSO EXPERIENCED WIND AMAGE...INCLUDING
KINGS POINT...THOMASTON...KENSINGTON AND MANHASSET. WINDS GUSTED TO 74 MPH AT 245 PM AT THE KINGS POINT NOAA/NOS TIDE GAUGE ON THE SHORE OF WESTERN LONG ISLAND SOUND.
Old 07-13-2011

jfdubu is on a distinguished road
I had a similar experiance in narragansett bay a few years ago. Sailing nicely wing on wing up the east passage when I heard a low rumble. Step one, pole down, sail a reach, assess weather, Blue skys as far as I could see (I couldn't see the other side of the island). Seconds later, louder rumble, step two, roll the jib, start the engine and strike the main. By now I reached the tip of the island to OMG black skys.
Running to Wickford was a breif option but the sky closed that path. No sooner did we get the boat closed up and PDF's on did it hit. Blinding rain as in I couldn't see the bow of my 28' boat. Waves and wind like I've never seen in this part of the bay. I ran with the wind noting my positon and compass heading. This lasted for about 5 minutes then dead calm. I turned the boat back to my heading and a minute later the other wall hit. Now I was heading south same wind and waves. 5 minutes later dead calm again. This time it was through. Later that night the news reported 75 mph winds at the Providence airport. Yes it was time for a new pair of shorts.

John
Old 07-13-2011

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road
+1 to new shorts ... I needed a new jib too!

had my jib furled at the time and it was ripped out part way and seams ripped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdubu View Post
I had a similar experiance in narragansett bay a few years ago. Sailing nicely wing on wing up the east passage when I heard a low rumble. Step one, pole down, sail a reach, assess weather, Blue skys as far as I could see (I couldn't see the other side of the island). Seconds later, louder rumble, step two, roll the jib, start the engine and strike the main. By now I reached the tip of the island to OMG black skys.
Running to Wickford was a breif option but the sky closed that path. No sooner did we get the boat closed up and PDF's on did it hit. Blinding rain as in I couldn't see the bow of my 28' boat. Waves and wind like I've never seen in this part of the bay. I ran with the wind noting my positon and compass heading. This lasted for about 5 minutes then dead calm. I turned the boat back to my heading and a minute later the other wall hit. Now I was heading south same wind and waves. 5 minutes later dead calm again. This time it was through. Later that night the news reported 75 mph winds at the Providence airport. Yes it was time for a new pair of shorts.

John

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.