Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
the other thing to think about....how are you getting back? Sounds like he may want to get it over there..for sure you can find a crew position back, or a flight..

just plan accordingly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CambridgeKid View Post
I just meant that they depart this week... for the three week (or so) trip.

Honestly, I don't know them well. I get good vibes from them...the skipper's been sailing for 10 years or so... he's attempted the northern Atlantic crossing twice before and turned back.

Tell me more about hurricane season. Low pressure systems move up the east coast? So they're coming from behind?

Thanks, all.
You don't need to know them well to assess their seamanship. Be politely to ask for

1. References
2. Boat inventories
3. Their sailing qualifications - Resume
4. What are their Plans B and C

Good luck.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-11-2011

SPC is on a distinguished road
I would be very concerned about sea sickness and I would try to make a few shorter cruises, especially with some nastier stuff. But then, I will probably never make that voyage.
Old 07-11-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPC View Post
I would be very concerned about sea sickness and I would try to make a few shorter cruises, especially with some nastier stuff. But then, I will probably never make that voyage.
It is the fact of life when sailing. Just be prepared for it. Take your seasickness mediation the night before and continue the med until you use to the sea. Hopefully not everyone is sick at the same time. And do not go down below too often and do not do close up work. When sick, get on the helm. Everyone will get sick one time or the other, deal with it.

Get some Crystalline ginger and chew on it. When you need to throw up, you will thank me.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-11-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Get some Crystalline ginger and chew on it. When you need to throw up, you will thank me.
so very true...I hate ginger going down....but thanks rockDawg, you are right..
Old 07-11-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
I hear chicken noodle soup is good, tastes the same going down or coming up

Old 07-11-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Enjoy plunging into the adventure. Do take seaksick meds, take several if you don't know what works for you yet, try them out at home first if you can. Take sunblock, sailing gloves, a sunhat and proper attire which hopefully you already have. If not, hurry out to get it. If you're dressed properly (warm/cool and dry) the trip will be much happier.

You might want to get a personal PFD and GPS/EPIRB locator as an investment in your own safety gear. The electronics have become dirt cheap compared to what they used to be. Many of us would prefer our own safety gear rather than trust what might or might not be on the boat, no matter how well we trust the captain.

And a good sharp personal knife, always a useful thing in case some line decides to get unsocial with your body parts.
Old 07-11-2011

glassdad is on a distinguished road
You have ten hours experience total and you are going to spend three weeks on one crossing? I think you need to re think this. A 50 foot boat is a big boat but after a few days it will be very small. My wife an I just completed a crossing to Catalina from Channel Islands. It took us 10-11 hours each way. It was fun and exciting some of the time. It was long and dull part of the time. I think you need some longer passages, 3 to 5 days, to get a feel of how you would do just being on the boat that long. After that, you can decide on crossing the Atlantic Ocean and all the issues that go with that endeavor.

Take care.
Old 07-11-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdad View Post
you are going to spend three weeks on one crossing? I think you need to re think this. A 50 foot boat is a big boat but after a few days it will be very small.
Take care.
Yes, this trip will test you if you are an offshore sailor or coastal sailor. Nothing wrong with either kind, just depends what you want.

But I never get tired and bored on the boat in the middle of the ocean. There are so many things to do. You constantly need to listen to the noise and investigate. I sleep like a rock when I am done with my watch.

No one can make decision for you except yourself. Good luck.

Fine Print:
Old 07-11-2011

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Not sure what the question is here. The guy plans to leave this week 2 handed. That is quite hard going. You would be of limited use. Sure you would have to stand a watch but one could hardly rely on you. Just make sure you ask if uncertain about anything.
How safe would you be? Well the timing seems ok. We can't evaluate how well prepared the boat and crew are. Nor really can you. How experienced is the other crew, particularly in offshore passages?
You could ask about the safety equipment - drogue ssb epirb liferaft charts spare gps etc. How well maintained is the boat? A clue might be how short of cash is he, so has the rigging been done and the sails in good condition?
That's all a bit hard to tell just from the seems a nice bloke thing. Two good guides are his past experience and some other experienced knowledgeable person at the marina who knows him and the boat.
Will you learn heaps? Not so much. Long voyages are mostly repetition. Exciting at the beginning and end, hopefully mostly boring for the rest. Still you would get some satisfaction from doing it.
If you think the others are very competent and the boat sound and well prepared, then up to you. Three weeks is a long time to spend wishing you were somewhere else if you become the whipping boy.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.