Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2003

i670684 is on a distinguished road
boat sails at anchor

Our J/40 is a great cruising boat that sails very well. Unfortunately, it enjoys sailing so much it continues to sail after we''ve anchored. I''ve taken to using two anchors to keep her in a reasonably stable position.

Anyone care to share techniques that have worked to calm a boat at anchor? I''m considering making a small sail to attach along the aft end of the boom and to either the backstay or the main halhard. This might serve as a weathercock, or it might just make the problem worse. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2003

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
boat sails at anchor

My NoríSea 27 has the same tendencies. I tried a steadying sail with limited success. What does work every time is springing the rode. The boat stays a lot more stationary when the wind is not dead on the bow.

Old 08-02-2003

geohan is on a distinguished road
boat sails at anchor

i670684: The easiest way we have found to stop our boat from tacking back and forth about her anchor is to attach a control line to the anchor rode with a rolling hitch. Then veer another 15 to 20 feet of rode and take the control line aft to the jib sheet winch. Haul to just enough angle to keep the boat on the same tack and docile. Regards, George
Old 08-03-2003

SHIMSHON is on a distinguished road
boat sails at anchor

Try using a "keltie" with a 20lb lead wt on it. With the rode straight up and down the tendency to sail will be greatly reduced, at least thats been my experience. You might have to play with the size of the weight, but 20lbs should be enough for a J40.
Old 08-03-2003

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past
boat sails at anchor

i670684,
If your going to go the sail route,check out what I did.
One day a friend of mine blew apart his kevlar main and gave it to me.
I cut off the last five feet of the head from luff to leach.I used the head because it was the strongest part of the sail.I sewed in a cringle at the new tack and clew.
I have a backstay flag hallyard so I secure the tack at the hallyard cleat on the backstay and hoist the The clew on up and tie off the hallyard at the cleat on the backstay.I then sheet off the head of the sail to the goosneck area of the mast.This all works preety darn good but I think that when you make your cut at the head, cut it so that you can hoist the head up the backstay sheeting the clew at the mast. This will give you a high aspect ratio which will work even better than the low aspect that I have.
You can also sheet of on the shrouds and change the angle of the boat to the seas or wakes so you take them on the bow or use a hallyard winch to tension the sail for a blow. The head of the sail is very strong allowing it to except alot of tension.You''ll need it in alot of wind.
My boat is on a mooring and I have been using this sail now for five years and it has lasted through many gales and even hurricanes,never failing.

Dennis
Old 08-04-2003

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
boat sails at anchor

I found that it simply took a lot less time and trouble in most situations to take a line to the rode and spring it aft. You can get the same results as with the sail with a lot less hassle. A couple rolling hitches in series and you''ve got a reliable and adjustable attachment to a line rode. If you have chain, just make up a long snubber using 1/2 inch nylon with a thimble and chain hook spliced at one end. Less stuff to stow too.
Old 08-05-2003

hamiam is on a distinguished road
boat sails at anchor

www.sailrite.com makes a anchor riding sail kit for about $80...

MJH
Old 08-05-2003

i670684 is on a distinguished road
boat sails at anchor

Lots of great replies... thanks. I''ll try running a line from the rode aft and see if that''s sufficient. Might try the kellet next as that''s probably a good idea to increase holding anyway. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2003

BruceClark is on a distinguished road
boat sails at anchor

Not sure if you are still following this, but a couple of different ideas.
1. I had a Nonsuch 30 that was very inclined to sail at anchor. Unless it was blowing, when their would be increased stress on the rudder and waves slapping on the wide transom, I found taking the anchor to the stern completely stopped the problem. Also promoted the movement of air into the boat and very easy to do.
2. This summer (Niagara 35) I experimented with a snubber line from a waterline fitting to all chain rode (see Calder''s crusing book). Not as effective as anchoring off the stern but seemed to work.
Old 08-24-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road
boat sails at anchor

Bruce
Sounds like a great idea.. One question..What happends when the wind come up. Isn''t there alot more danger of gragging the anchor? Follow up to that is.. Ever take any water over the transon?