Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
Boat Loan

Does anyone have any info on getting a boat loan? I have bought houses before but never boats. I want to buy my first used sailboat within the next six months. Not sure where to start. Is there a 'Wells Fargo' for used boat loans?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Your lending source would depend on the price range age and size

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-13-2011
PR Sailor

velero is on a distinguished road
New or used boat? How old if used?

the usual suspects: Scott, Essex, Offshore Financial and Boat US just to name a few. Must of the time the broker and/or dealer can recommend someone they work with... my 2 cents. just google boat loans.
Old 07-13-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
if you have a good relationship with a local bank, many in the bay area are better deals than the commercial folks,

IF you have 20% downpayment, good FICO and means to pay back. EVB and Chesapeake Banks both have in house boat loan folks who are very good to work with and are very knowledgeable, similarly M&T in the Balt area.
Old 07-13-2011

winchmaster is on a distinguished road
What about VA do they have boat loans?
Old 07-13-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocate777 View Post
........Is there a 'Wells Fargo' for used boat loans?
You are looking for a corrupt, nearly bankrupt big bank? Find a local bank that is specifically in maritime finance in your area.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-13-2011

Dfok is on a distinguished road
If you are looking for your first sailboat there are plenty on the market at distressed market prices. A couple thousand can get you on the water, 5 or 6 thousand will get you there in style and give you an opportunity to learn about hulls, rigging, sail, etc as you bring the boat back to life.
Sailing is less stressful when you know the hull beneath your feet is paid for.
Old 07-14-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Last year I got a loan from SunTrust Bank. I financed over 50% of the value at 6% over 15 years. These were much better terms than I could find anywhere else. They were easy to work with and very helpful.

Your rates and terms will vary based on value and equity of course.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
Old 07-14-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Ironically, its harder to get a very small boat loan than a large one. If they are too small, the bank does not make enough to justify all the work involved.

Also, keep in mind that a boat can be considered a second home for interest tax deduction purposes, if it has a permanent built in head, galley and sleeping quarters. This, however, requires a lien on the boat itself to qualify. Some banks may suggest other types of loan products, particularly if the amount is too small to justify all the maritime work.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-14-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Ironically, its harder to get a very small boat loan than a large one. If they are too small, the bank does not make enough to justify all the work involved.
Yeah, I ended up just doing a personal loan with a credit union because my boat didn't cost all that much. Rates ended up being lower than what I've been paying on my car and I own the title on the boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.