Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011

littlelizzy is on a distinguished road
Some help needed with shoal draft choices

Started looking at several boats online (Pearson, Catalina, Sabre, Tartan, Cape Dory...) in the 30' range to be used in shallow waters of the Barnegat Bay. Need to sleep 5-6,2 adults and children, for some overnighters. I guess I am looking for a boat with less than 4' draft thats not a slug. I really dont want to go too old (no older than mid 80's) as I want to sail with family and not work more than I have to on maintenance. Questions I have are if wing keels are ok or can I find what I am looking for with a CB? Not sure about getting a wing keel out of the muck! Can anyone recommend a model they have experience with that can meet my needs? Are any of these more fun to own and sail than others? And lastly where may I find issues with resale when the time comes? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2011

dmurray is on a distinguished road
There's a nice little Bristol for sale here at Tracy's Landing, MD. Looks good from the outside but no idea of condition otherwise. I live aboard within 300 yards of it and would be happy to look closer if you have an interest.

Doug
Old 07-14-2011

OtterGreen is on a distinguished road
my boat is 23 foot and water ballast with a centerboard. although it is not as big as my friends, his is 28, he is very restricted on where he can travel even with the shoal draft on his oday. i can head over to applegate cove or cattus island and put it right up on the beach if i want. remember, if you travel only a few feet outside the channel in our area you could be in 3 feet of water. north of the bridge where i sail is a bit more shallow that the south side. even with 4 ft of draft you will mainly be restricted inside the channels
Old 07-14-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
You should do fine on resale with any of those if you pay an appropriate amount and maintain the boat properly. The cape dory would not be considered a speed demon. Any of the others have both faster and slower models. Do you have a budget as the price for a Sabre is quite a bit more than a Catalina of similar size and vintage.

Will you be sailing in short water or just to get to your mooring? I assume your sailing area is a little deeper as you are considering a CB.

The mid 80s Sabre 36CB is nice boat that can be had around $50k.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------