Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
They have a Sabre 30' you could charter here: SOUND SAILING CENTER - Long Island Sound's Premier Sailing School out of Norwalk, CT.
It won't be cheap but will be cheaper then buying a boat.

Typical yearly costs for a <= 30' sailboat might be:
$1000+ winter storage
$500 or thereabouts for insurance
$100/year for NYS registration

Summer at a slip will be close to $3K, at a mooring maybe $1200.
These estimated costs are based on using a marina like a Brewers of which there are many on the LIS.

There are strategies that can bring these numbers down a bit.
Join a working sailing club. Examples of this kind of club are the Hempstead Harbor Club or Nyack Boat Club. You have to put some work time in to remain in good standing as a member but the yearly costs can be substantially less then using a marina. Neither of these clubs have slips so you'd have to buy a mooring (used ~ $500) and pay an initiation fee the 1st year. The down side to this kind of set up is that you can't launch or haul out whenever you choose.

The cheapest option is to go the no-club route where you pay someone to drop your mooring for you and pay a small yearly fee to the local village/municipality for the privilege. I paid a $25 resident mooring fee at a small harbor near Northport, LI where I kept a Lightning for a few years. It was also only a 50# mushroom anchor I could launch and haul myself. The Lightning lived on a trailer in the woods during winter.

Trailer sailors are always way cheaper to operate, but you already know that.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2011

gaberx8pa is on a distinguished road
CalebD,
Thanks for the link to SSC, I hadn't found that yet and a Sabre 30 is on my list of candidate boats. I'll definitely look into it.

I appreciate the cost estimates as well and I'm familiar with a couple of the Brewer yards, having stayed there a quite few times on our previous outings so that gives me a good sense of what I'd be looking at.

I've owned three boats, all were trailer sailers and all provided a lot of good memories and fun. It was always on my bucket list to take an extended cruise through the Sound and Cape Cod, which necessitated a bigger boat than we had. Now, a recent successful (I hope) bout with cancer and a looming retirement has rekindled that desire Much thanks to all for your advice. I'm more confident that I'll find a way to make this happen.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook