Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
We are in the midst of enjoying a stretch of relatively cool and dry weather here on Long Island Sound. My brother (recently retired) flew up from Atlanta last Tuesday and we enjoyed 4 days of delightful sailing together. Temps in the low to mid 80s and winds 5-15 knots. Best stretch of weather and sailing of the summer so far. Heat and humidity return next week.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Stay away from those nice looking mushrooms please. Now I see what the selection process for mods is!!!

Back to the topic....It is a rotten season this [and last year]

Maybe 2013?
Not getting any better either. Bucketing down in Sydney yet again. Wind howling out of the SW. Bloody awful. Wouldn't mind if I was tucked up in a quiet anchorage with Wombet, books, tucker and grog but having to drive across town in it is utterly apalling.

ps - I reckon I'm damn near old enough to start getting back into the magic shrooms. Sheesh ... I reckon it must be 35 years since I last saw one ... I was told that they are very hard to find these days even up north. Victim of urban sprawl and over harvesting apparently.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-20-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
ps - I reckon I'm damn near old enough to start getting back into the magic shrooms. Sheesh ... I reckon it must be 35 years since I last saw one ... I was told that they are very hard to find these days even up north. Victim of urban sprawl and over harvesting apparently.
More likely the 'gardeners' are respectibly employed as political advisors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2011

GreenOnions is on a distinguished road
Weather isn't great in the UK either :/
Old 07-20-2011
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Royer View Post
Haha. It's not just you. I've been a registered member for about a day and I've been called "kiddo" by a couple people.
Hahha............. I am older than dirt, so I call everyone Kiddo or grasshopper. However, if you sail into Chesapeake Bay, I will call you Captain Royer.

Me: Captain Royer, permission to come on board?
Kiddo: Permission deny. Lock and load, ready to fire.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-20-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
For those of you suffering through a heat wave. This from a local TV stations weather blog.
(ps. the San Juans are 90 miles north of Seattle, drier but not as warm)

Seattle: Home of the 78-minute summer

By Scott Sistek
Story Created: Jul 18, 2011 at 7:09 AM PDT
Does it seem like you can measure the amount of summer weather we've had this year with a stopwatch?
Turns out, you probably can. In fact, head to see the latest blockbuster at the theater and Seattle's accumulative summer would be over and done long before the credits rolled.
I've been curious since most of our warmest days as far as official high temperatures go don't seem to stay warm very long -- for example, the high on Friday was officially 76 at Sea-Tac Airport, but it was 63 a few hours later when the rain arrived. Or on July 2, it was 81 at 6 p.m. but 71 two hours later and 64 at 9 p.m.
So if someone was to someday go back and look in the weather logs, it might have looked like Friday was a nice warm day. But it sure didn't feel like it at the time. Plenty of our other warm days have quickly cooled with the strong evening sea breezes or marine pushes.
That got me to thinking -- just how long has it been *really* warm this summer in Seattle?
While Sea-Tac Airport only reports temperatures on the hour, the University of Washington Atmospheric Sciences Department keeps a minute-by-minute log of the weather station atop their roof on the Seattle campus. And since the UW is in the heart of Seattle, while the airport is more like the lower-left shin, I figure this could be an accurate representation of what a true Seattle person would have felt this summer.
The mission: Find out how many minutes it's been at 80 degrees or warmer this year-- what I would call a true warm summer day in Seattle.
The answer: 78 minutes.
Or, breaking it down: 12 minutes on July 2, and 66 minutes on July 6.
(The official Sea-Tac record books say Seattle has had three days at 80 or warmer, the warmest being 84 degrees on July 6. The UW's warmest day was 81 on July 6 with the other day at 80 and the third at 79. Check out Cliff Mass' timely weather blog on how the 3rd runway could be skewing Sea-Tac's temperatures.)
For those that say: "C'mon, you know 80's a pipe dream around here. I'd say 75 degrees is a more accurate 'summer representation,' " I'd first reply, "Wow, these past two summers have really warped our perceptions of a normal Seattle summer." Seattle (at Sea-Tac) does averaage 25 days a year at 80 or warmer.
But my second reply would be, "can do."
It turns out, we've had a whopping 18 hours and 48 minutes of temperatures above 75 this summer -- hey, it's more than 2/3rd of a day! Never mind that some cities like Dallas haven't been below 75, day or night, since June 23rd.
(On the other hand, Paine Field in Everett has yet to reach 75 this year. Their highest temperature has been 74.)
Actually, much of the rest of the nation has been suffering under one of the hottest summers they've seen in ages. The Pacific Coast has been the only safe haven for excrutiating heat, so maybe staying cool isn't such a horrible thing.
But we realize that there are a lot of sun fans out here who realize hot weather is rare enough in a normal summer, much less this one. So next time the temperature climbs to 80 degrees, run -- don't walk -- to your nearest beach. It might be all you get.
Oh, and bring a jacket if you're out past 8 o'clock.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-20-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
The heat might break this weekend with highs of 98 and some nice wind. Some perfect sailing weather.

And I'm scheduled to work all weekend. Go figure. Feel sorry for my coworkers cause I won't be happy about it.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 07-20-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
For those of you suffering through a heat wave. This from a local TV stations weather blog.
(ps. the San Juans are 90 miles north of Seattle, drier but not as warm)

Seattle: Home of the 78-minute summer

By Scott Sistek
Story Created: Jul 18, 2011 at 7:09 AM PDT
Does it seem like you can measure the amount of summer weather we've had this year with a stopwatch?
Turns out, you probably can. In fact, head to see the latest blockbuster at the theater and Seattle's accumulative summer would be over and done long before the credits rolled.
I've been curious since most of our warmest days as far as official high temperatures go don't seem to stay warm very long -- for example, the high on Friday was officially 76 at Sea-Tac Airport, but it was 63 a few hours later when the rain arrived. Or on July 2, it was 81 at 6 p.m. but 71 two hours later and 64 at 9 p.m.
So if someone was to someday go back and look in the weather logs, it might have looked like Friday was a nice warm day. But it sure didn't feel like it at the time. Plenty of our other warm days have quickly cooled with the strong evening sea breezes or marine pushes.
That got me to thinking -- just how long has it been *really* warm this summer in Seattle?
While Sea-Tac Airport only reports temperatures on the hour, the University of Washington Atmospheric Sciences Department keeps a minute-by-minute log of the weather station atop their roof on the Seattle campus. And since the UW is in the heart of Seattle, while the airport is more like the lower-left shin, I figure this could be an accurate representation of what a true Seattle person would have felt this summer.
The mission: Find out how many minutes it's been at 80 degrees or warmer this year-- what I would call a true warm summer day in Seattle.
The answer: 78 minutes.
Or, breaking it down: 12 minutes on July 2, and 66 minutes on July 6.
(The official Sea-Tac record books say Seattle has had three days at 80 or warmer, the warmest being 84 degrees on July 6. The UW's warmest day was 81 on July 6 with the other day at 80 and the third at 79. Check out Cliff Mass' timely weather blog on how the 3rd runway could be skewing Sea-Tac's temperatures.)
For those that say: "C'mon, you know 80's a pipe dream around here. I'd say 75 degrees is a more accurate 'summer representation,' " I'd first reply, "Wow, these past two summers have really warped our perceptions of a normal Seattle summer." Seattle (at Sea-Tac) does averaage 25 days a year at 80 or warmer.
But my second reply would be, "can do."
It turns out, we've had a whopping 18 hours and 48 minutes of temperatures above 75 this summer -- hey, it's more than 2/3rd of a day! Never mind that some cities like Dallas haven't been below 75, day or night, since June 23rd.
(On the other hand, Paine Field in Everett has yet to reach 75 this year. Their highest temperature has been 74.)
Actually, much of the rest of the nation has been suffering under one of the hottest summers they've seen in ages. The Pacific Coast has been the only safe haven for excrutiating heat, so maybe staying cool isn't such a horrible thing.
But we realize that there are a lot of sun fans out here who realize hot weather is rare enough in a normal summer, much less this one. So next time the temperature climbs to 80 degrees, run -- don't walk -- to your nearest beach. It might be all you get.
Oh, and bring a jacket if you're out past 8 o'clock.
I don't know whether you're complaining or gloating.
Old 07-21-2011

GreenOnions is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I don't know whether you're complaining or gloating.
Haha, quite the conundrum :P
Old 07-21-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Not so bad on the lower Delaware Bay.

This past month I have only had one day I canceled a sail due to thunderstorms.

Temperatures in the 90's F and 80's F, but a bit cooler at night, and steady breeze/wind with a few days below 5kt but mostly 10 to 15 once out in the bay.

The gentle breeze days are just a different challenge to squeeze out a few knots boat speed.

Heading back up to Philadelphia this weekend and should have fair winds at least as far as Delaware City.

Last edited by Ulladh; 07-21-2011 at 11:03 AM.