SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Worst summer ever. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/76299-worst-summer-ever.html)

Sublime 07-14-2011 11:05 PM

Worst summer ever.

1 Attachment(s)
Not much wind either.

BentSailor 07-14-2011 11:46 PM

Well, it's winter here... but I know how you feel.
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/659...10715at140.png
Thinking of going out in the wetsuit anyway, just to be out on the water.

JoeDiver 07-15-2011 02:41 AM

Actually, it's the 2nd worst summer ever....in 113 years of record keeping, only the summer of 1980 has been worse than this one (so far).

rockDAWG 07-15-2011 01:13 PM

I am glad that we all just worry about not having wind to sail. But for others around the Nation and world, 2011 is the worst year ever.

It is all relative. Be thankful :)

sawingknots 07-15-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockDAWG (Post 750518)
I am glad that we all just worry about not having wind to sail. But for others around the Nation and world, 2011 is the worst year ever.

It is all relative. Be thankful :)

i very agree!!!oh oh on no politics,this has been a very trying summer for me too,but soon i'm going change a few things[for better or worse]

Rozz 07-15-2011 01:44 PM

wow, hooorible indeed!!
maybe it will tame a bit and give u a little longer on the tail end

QuickMick 07-15-2011 01:48 PM

Texas Wind Speed Map

We've had some wind at least! last sunday we were making 15's consistently.... but i was on my buddy's F24.... lol :D

svs3 07-15-2011 04:10 PM

From the LCRA:
Quote:

Nearly all of Texas is in a serious drought, and nearly two-thirds of the state including most of Central Texas and the lower Colorado River basin is entering the summer season in exceptional drought, the most severe category.

The eight months from October 2010 through May 2011 have been the driest eight-month period on record for Texas since 1895. Rainfall in Austin was 38 percent of normal, and Wharton rainfall was 30 percent of normal.

Because soil is parched, it will take about 5 to 6 inches of rain in the basin to begin to produce significant runoff. That amount of rain appears highly unlikely this summer, unless a tropical storm brings rainfall to the region. Long-range weather forecasts indicate rainfall will remain below normal until early fall and, even then, likely will not be enough to significantly affect the amount of water stored in lakes Travis and Buchanan.

By Sept. 1, combined storage is expected to drop to 1 million acre-feet and could drop as low as 900,000 acre-feet if extreme drought conditions continue. If combined storage reaches 900,000 acre-feet, LCRA will ask firm customers to implement the mandatory water-use restrictions in their drought contingency plans, with a goal of reducing water use by 10 to 20 percent.
Apparently, there is only one public boat ramp open on both Lake Travis and Buchanan and these are facing possible closure if conditions don't improve.

Several towns around here: Blanco, LLano, and others are on the verge of running out of water altogether.

Some are saying this drought might on the scale of the 1950's drought which persisted for almost 10 years, the so-called "Drought of Record" - though this one has a ways to before getting to that state.
Quote:

Drought of record: The decade-long drought that affected Central Texas from the late 1940s through the late 1950s. (See LCRA history.) No other drought in recent history was as severe or as sustained. LCRA and other organizations use it as a benchmark to compare recent droughts and to prepare for future droughts.

Its pretty bad when you start wishing for a tropical storm or hurricane.

Recreational sailing is among the least of my worries at the moment.

rockDAWG 07-15-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawingknots (Post 750535)
i very agree!!!oh oh on no politics,this has been a very trying summer for me too,but soon i'm going change a few things[for better or worse]

No politics intended at all. I am not sure about Texas. Here in Chesapeake Bay , hot and humid is the norm after July 4th. If we have a good wind day, it is an exception. I consider is a blessing from Fujin. :)

Sublime 07-15-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickMick (Post 750547)
Texas Wind Speed Map

We've had some wind at least! last sunday we were making 15's consistently.... but i was on my buddy's F24.... lol :D

I went down to Austin that weekend. I looked at the forecast though before leaving and swore. :laugher

Quote:

Originally Posted by svs3 (Post 750612)

Recreational sailing is among the least of my worries at the moment.

No doubt there are other worries. Just don't like that I haven't had a "getawayfromitall" thing to do lately.