Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Royer View Post
Haha, yeah. I'm having to do the same with my friends. Most of them don't get the full awesomeness of being out on the water, since they're from TN. So I use lines like, "if you come stay with me on the boat, I'll take you snorkeling, and we can go to Gulf Shores, and you can get the best tan!" but I'm still having trouble mustering a ton of excitement.
I stopped pestering my friends when I realized that they were just not interested. I'm not going to waste my time begging them to do something they clearly don't want to do. But each summer there's at least one non-sailing acquaintance who asks to go out with us.

We belong to two sail clubs so we don't lack for people we know who want to sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2011

Andrea Royer is on a distinguished road
That's a good way to look at it. I won't want for willing guests, at least.

Sometimes I just have the hardest time understanding how someone can't love sailing, though. Haha. And even the ones that are in to motor boating on the lakes don't *really* get it.

My boat friend here in Knoxville trailers a ski boat to the lake on weekends. His dad was in the navy and they run a pretty tight ship, so I like talking to him about boating in general. So, with being a little apprehensive about singlehanded docking after so long without practice, and even a bit unsure about dock line configuration, I brought the topic up.

Andrea: James, How do you dock your boat when you guys stop in for lunch on the lake?

James: We tie a line to the dock.

Andrea: Just one line?! That's all?

James: What else is there?

What else is there? What else is there? Poor boat...
Old 07-17-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Royer View Post
Haha, yeah. I'm having to do the same with my friends. Most of them don't get the full awesomeness of being out on the water, since they're from TN.
Can you bribe them with non-stop Country Music……

At least you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your love ones.

Me: Hey, let go to sailing with Daddy this weekend.
Child 1: No, I can't. I am very busy.
Child 2: I will be in College Park this week.
Got Home Friday Nite:
Saw a Laundry bag, Me asked: is Child 2 home?
Wifey: He stopped by for 5 mins, and gotta go.
Me: I see. Did he take my BMW?
Wifey: He said your car has better gas milage than his Cherokee.
:mad
Monday Morning:
Me text: How RU, did have a good weekend?
Child 2: Yes, it's OK
Me: What did you do?
Child 2: Just a hangout with friends, not much.
Me:

Not sure if we should try again to have another two new kids, this time I think we would do a better job. Searching for answers.
Boasun likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-17-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Our guests we tell them to pack light. 3 t shirts, shorts, 1 bathing suit and sunscreen and bring it in a backpack or smal cloth/ material bag. No glass on board.

We put all our guests off after the sun goes down. Watching the anchor all night is bad enough...listening to someone else snore other than Donna....doesnt cut it.

Sounds mean, but we are happy this way.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-17-2011
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I don't use check lists. I bribe my family to come on board.
I don't usually have to bribe my daughter, but my wife and son sometimes need a gentle nudge.

Since we've only day sailed so far, we've just told people to show up, and we supply the water, Bonine and all safety gear: they supply any special snacks they like and we all share what we bring.

Makes it really easy.

Old 07-18-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I have a cut and paste on another computer that I usually email to guests before they arrive. All the typical planning stuff, what to pack, what to pack in, address for gps, my cell number, etc.

Here are some of the Do Nots that it has taken us some time to learn.

- Do not expect guests to love sailing, some prefer sunning on the foredeck while you motor sail with the jib furled.
- Do not go very far, it may seem like around the bend to you, but an hour or two is far enough for non-sailors.
- Do not book guests every weekend, you need a break. We have to remind ourselves of this!! We booked absolutely every weekend in Jul and Aug this year and already can't wait for September........
- Guests need to get off the boat and walk around, don't expect that sitting in the cockpit all night with your favorite bottle is going to keep them fully occupied.
- Don't drive together. If one of your guests gets seasick, they will not want to sleep another night on the boat, even at the marina. They need an escape route that doesn't take you with them.

edit: We sleep great on the boat, but guest quarters are not always as comfortable. Although luxurious for a sailboat, many non-sailors do not get a great nights sleep aboard. They are too cramped, or one snores or its hot, etc. Therefore, do not invite a guest for every bed. We've found most adults will split up in the middle of the night to get more room.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 07-18-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: some typos and addt'l thought
Old 07-18-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I have a cut and paste on another computer that I usually email to guests before they arrive. All the typical planning stuff, what to pack, what to pack in, address for gps, my cell number, etc.
Thanks Minnewaska. Given the responses to my question, it doesn't seem like a checklist sent to guests is the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Here are some of the Do Nots that it has taken us some time to learn.
- Don't drive together. If one of your guests gets seasick, they will not want to sleep another night on the boat, even at the marina. They need an escape route that doesn't take you with them.
VERY good point and one I had not thought of.

I hear you about booking guests every weekend. It's so tempting to invite everyone who expresses an interest because of our love of sailing.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-18-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

When I deal with general public or audience, I use the KISS principle. But then if I am dealing with my daughter's BFs, I will make it so complicated he wish he had paid more attention in school.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-18-2011
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
We had friends who expressed a number of times how they would like to come sailing with us for a day. They got two trips out of one our boat - their first and their last:
  • Showed up late
  • With an extra kid "Didn't think you'd mind if we brought a friend for our 12 year old daughter"
  • Didn't bring a change of cloths but sure enjoyed being up on the bow getting soaked
  • Went into our cloths locker without asking to find dry cloths for the three kids
  • Went home with some of our cloths

Funny how some people get it and some don't.

Shalom
Wow. I mean really.
Old 07-18-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
But each summer there's at least one non-sailing acquaintance who asks to go out with us.

We belong to two sail clubs so we don't lack for people we know who want to sail.
I would never ask any boat owners no matter how nice they are or how nice their boat is; so is my family. Self invitation is just bad in our book. If they have the boat I like, I may PM them with some of specific questions. I try not to trouble them unless the info can't be found on the internet which is rare these days. The bottom line, i don't like to trouble/burden other people. Any potentials that lead to an uneasy situation should avoid all cost - Book of Tao.

However, I do participate crewing for others when they post for Crew. I also have written to Delivery Captains for any opening positions. But these situations are all business, no hard feeling either ways.

Fine Print: