Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I would never ask any boat owners no matter how nice they are or how nice their boat is; so is my family. Self invitation is just bad in our book.
I wouldn't invite myself onto other people's boats, that's not me. But I don't let it bother me when I'm asked. Too many other more important things in life to get upset about. If it's someone we aren't interested in having on the boat one of us will say that we'll let them know when it's a good time. During the conversation that's our signal to each that he[[ will freeze first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2011

cupper3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
At least you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your love ones.
........Me asked: is Child 2 home?
Wifey: He stopped by for 5 mins, and gotta go.
Me: I see. Did he take my BMW?
Wifey: He said your car has better gas milage than his Cherokee.
:mad
Yeah, I remember my kid at 14 coming home and asked what I would do if he got an earring.

He was not quite prepared for my answer"

"I'd cover my ears", I said.

"You would WHAT?", came the response. "Why?"

Looking him directly in the eye, in a calm and natural voice, I told him, "Because I wouldn't want to hear your yelling and screaming as I RIPPED IT OUT WITH A PAIR OF PLIERS."

Said son understood from that moment on, don't fool with the old man. He wasn't quite sure if I meant it or not.

Either was I

Oh, and no way in anything you think may involve eternal damnation would my kids DARED take my vehicle without express permission.

That just calls out for all sorts of real and substantive sanctions... unbelievable.
Old 07-18-2011
A mod and her dragon

Ah, well, if there are no more checklist ideas anyone would like to share...

I have to admit, I rather like Dave's rule about no guests after sunset. I think the right checklist might get me to that point.

We are having a couple from our sail club crew on our boat next month on a club-organized overnight trip to Annapolis. We may share a BVI charter boat next year and I want to see if we're compatible. My only list items to them for the Annapolis trip is to bring their own linen or sleeping bags and their own beer if they don't drink microbrews.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 07-18-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
A departure from the boat check list:
1. Do they have all of their stuff that they've brought with them?
2. Are all of their kids, in the car?

Method to tell if they had fun or was scared to death?
1. As they get off your boat, they kneal down and kiss the ground.
2. As they get off your boat, they are tired, but had a good time.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 07-18-2011
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
A departure from the boat check list:
1. Do they have all of their stuff that they've brought with them?
2. Are all of their kids, in the car?
#1 is important. The less they bring, the less they'll potentially leave behind. I'll put that on my list.

As for #2, I will make sure that the kids are off the boat! Few kids in our world other than my teenage nephew and niece. It seems that childless couples attract other childless people.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 07-19-2011

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Yeah, I remember my kid at 14 coming home and asked what I would do if he got an earring.

He was not quite prepared for my answer"

"I'd cover my ears", I said.

"You would WHAT?", came the response. "Why?"

Looking him directly in the eye, in a calm and natural voice, I told him, "Because I wouldn't want to hear your yelling and screaming as I RIPPED IT OUT WITH A PAIR OF PLIERS."

Said son understood from that moment on, don't fool with the old man. He wasn't quite sure if I meant it or not.
Either was I

Oh, and no way in anything you think may involve eternal damnation would my kids DARED take my vehicle without express permission.

That just calls out for all sorts of real and substantive sanctions... unbelievable.

That's funny. I took the opposit tack and actually bribed my son with allowing him to get his ear pierced if he quit soccer and started playing football. He was probably in 5th grade at the time. His mother wasn't happy. I was hoping for at least one son to play FB in HS and got a bonus by his playing in college. (And the pierced ear is no more, however a couple of tats)

+1 on the car issue. Don't think about it without asking.
Old 07-20-2011

jfdubu is on a distinguished road
Having been both a guest and a host for multiple day visits. I can tell you a basic checklist is a good thing. As a guest, my host didn't have a formal list but a few basic's. Mind you this was for a four day race weekend (Figawe).

Bring your own PFD, bedding (sleeping bag) and pillow. Pack light.

I do just that. I can fit everything I need for a week on a boat in a medium duffle. I was shocked when other crew showed up with BIG rolles ie wouldn't fit in an overhead.

As a host, Pack light is the main theme and I make sure before anyone invited for an overnite has been on the boat for a day sail. And they will know how much space they will be alloted. I have told day sail guest's to leave stuff in the car, they won't need it, unless it's beer or rum and then they have to leave it.