Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011

CambridgeKid is on a distinguished road
Real Life Weather Scenario

With tropical storm Bret moving north in the Atlantic, I have two questions for you guys to kick around.

1.) My friends are in the midst of an Atlantic crossing. Their last known position (8 hours ago) was 39°53'45.71"N, 64°25'4.80"W, with a heading of approximately 100. If they slow down... Bret will hit them (Tropical Storm Bret : 5 Day Forecast Map : Weather Underground). If they continue as they are... they should make it to the far side of the projection cone by Friday when Bret arrives, but that seems risky. Is the best solution to turn back? What would you do and why? They're in a Gulfstar 50 ketch.

2.) I'm currently on my way to Iceland and have just passed St. Pierre in Newfoundland. What's your experience with storms like this moving into my path (especially since such storms have a tendency to arc north)? What would you expect and what preparations would you make that I may not have thought of?

Thanks, all.

Last edited by CambridgeKid; 07-18-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CambridgeKid View Post
With tropical storm Bret moving north in the Atlantic, I have two questions for you guys to kick around.

1.) My friends are in the midst of an Atlantic crossing. Their last known position (8 hours ago) was 39°53'45.71"N, 64°25'4.80"W, with a heading of approximately 100. If they slow down... Bret will hit them (Tropical Storm Bret : 5 Day Forecast Map : Weather Underground). If they continue as they are... they should make it to the far side of the projection cone by Friday when Bret arrives, but that seems risky. Is the best solution to turn back? What would you do and why? They're in a Gulfstar 50 ketch.
Without anymore info or consult any other sources, I would head north or NNW if possible to stay off the path of the storm.

i like to hear what other may say.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-18-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CambridgeKid View Post
2.) I'm currently on my way to Iceland and have just passed St. Pierre in Newfoundland. What's your experience with storms like this moving into my path (especially since such storms have a tendency to arc north)? What would you expect and what preparations would you make that I may not have thought of?
The TS may be weaken by then and becomes a Tropical depression.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-19-2011

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
If you have a SSB HF radio, tune it to 12359 KHz and check in with Herb Hilgenberg's weather net between 1930 and 2000 Hrs UTC. His call sign is "Southbound II" and he'll be listening for boats checking in between those hours. He'll then do a roll call of those he's heard and you'll get a customized forecast for the next two - three days, including Herb's recommendations on waypoints to steer for in the next two days or so.

He's very good and you should listen to what he has to say, but in the end -- as you know -- it's up to the skipper to make the decisions.

If you don't have a SSB radio, well....try sending Herb an email: hehilgen AT sympatico DOT ca

As Herb says, "Have a good watch."

PS -- In your shoes, I'd button down the boat, have storm sails rigged and ready, some food cooked, crew rested, and things generally prepared for the North Atlantic in a gale. July is probably as good as it gets for this passage, but you know...."stuff" happens. Good luck.

Last edited by billyruffn; 07-19-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Cambridge, the forecasts for the US mainland seem fairly certain about wind and weather systems moving to the east for the next week, so I would also expect the storm to be on a reliable track and unlikely to move further west than forecast.

Question being, what speed are your friends making? 7 knots? 9? And at their speed, where would they expect to be on Thursday 2pm, when that depression is still forecast to be south of their track? If they can be fairly clear of it 24 hours before it gets that far north, I'd say go for it. And, of course, get an expert opinion from Herb if they can!

If they duck back east, it may wind up adding a week to their trip and still leaving them with sloppy weather.

For yourself, if you're staying coastal, I'd gamble on the depression staying further east of you. Which can still leave you with weather, just not in the thick of it. With the massive heatwave forecast for the US east coast...I'd say coastal tornadoes are the thing to beware. (Excuse me, they're not tornadoes until they make landfall, yeah, sure.)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.