Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Rik,

I use Virgin Mobile, but I checked its data coverage map and it only covers southern Maine, from about Bath on down south.

for others,
I like the Virgin Mobile plan. Buy the 3G dongle, for about $75, and get an account. Add Megabyte purchases in $10 increments, each "package" has an expiration of 10 days and can handle lots of e-mails or just a couple of hours of video streaming or anything in between. Perfect for coastal cruising!
Old 07-21-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
jj, Virgin Mobile has great pricing for prepaid but they use Sprint's network, and Sprint cherrypicks coverage areas. VM may also just be using Sprint's "old" network so they may have even less coverage at lower speeds.

Rik, in the US you are most likely to be served by VM or T-Mobile or Straight Talk (sold in Walmart, see online, they use Verizon's network) any one of them will sell you prepaid service by the month. There are some other great deals like MetroPCS but usually iwth even less coverage. If VM covers that area, they just raised rates from $25 to 30 or 35 for their basic prepaid plan, which only has 300 voice minutes--but unlimited data. Bearing in mind, it may not be terribly FAST unlimited data either.

So I'd suggest, ask in the towns where you plan to be, who provides decent coverage. There must be at least one carrier and if there is a Radio Shack store in town, they'll probably known which carriers and sell the prepaid plans and equipment for them.

The coverage maps online are all well and good, but if you actually ask around to get a reality check that's better.

A high power WiFi setup might make a very sensible backup solution if there are places (library, Starbucks, McD's) within 1/2 mile of the boat that offer free WiFi.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Excellent advice and suggestions - many thanks!

Right now we are in one of our favourite places. We won't tell you because we don't want to spoil it. Great coffee, super free wifi, great food and a beautiful place to anchor. And just off to the right we can see the BIG SHIP "State of Maine" out in front of the Academy. Will be here for a night or two.

Will probably hook up with Jeff and Karen of "Active Captain" while we are here and then on to Belfast Monday to do laundry and hit a Hannafords.

Thanks again.

Linda, Capt Hook and Rik
Mystery
Old 07-23-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
....Right now we are in one of our favourite places. We won't tell you because we don't want to spoil it. Great coffee, super free wifi, great food and a beautiful place to anchor......
Loved it there, your secret is safe with me.........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-23-2011

capecodda is on a distinguished road
Loved it there, your secret is safe with me.........

+1
Old 07-23-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Right now we are on a mooring about a mile from town using our NanoStation2 to pick up an open wifi.

Meeting Jeff and Karen for drinks later.

Cheers all!
Old 07-23-2011
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjablonowski View Post
Rik,

I use Virgin Mobile, but I checked its data coverage map and it only covers southern Maine, from about Bath on down south.

for others,
I like the Virgin Mobile plan. Buy the 3G dongle, for about $75, and get an account. Add Megabyte purchases in $10 increments, each "package" has an expiration of 10 days and can handle lots of e-mails or just a couple of hours of video streaming or anything in between. Perfect for coastal cruising!
I hope you are talking a Gigabyte, not Megabyte for $10.