Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Oh Come-on SV...Ruth and Chris is an Annapolis experience...as is Cantlers...

As Yogi Berra once said..." No one goes there because the lines are too long" ;-)

As I said, I prefer the Normandie Cafe for breakfast or Brunch..but I wouldn't trade my Ruth and Chris experience..or Cantlers..for a trip to Baltimore?... ;-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2011

AnderCranster is on a distinguished road
I do tend to believe that "hole in the wall" restaurants are some of the best. You can always tell the ones that aren't very good because they have no customers...
They seem to concentrate on creating what they do best instead of getting distracted by other things (like cleaning sometimes )

But I'm not biased towards them. My first career was as a sous chef in Northern California... But I'll take good comfort food any day!

Question, I have read in Sail Magazine about a place that creates these incredible beef or steak sandwiches. I own the magazine, and haven't been able to find that article since I first read it. Not even on the magazines website.

Anyone know the name and location of this place?

Thanks again for the great suggestions.

I'd still like to know if there are any places to rent sailing dinghies or day-sailors in this area? Doesn't have to be in Annapolis. We're staying closer to DC, so going farther north or south doesn't matter.
Old 07-22-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Both are surely institutions. Ruth & Chris is dirty, crowded, and roach infested. The food is greasy and the staff poorly trained. I live here and gave them a more than fair shake. Sorry. It's just bad.

Cantler's is at least clean. The food is mediocre and the prices are obscene. $100 for a dozen steamed crab? Please come on. Absurd. The kitchen there was once well regarded but over the last five or six years they seem to have lost their mojo.

This is not my opinion alone. Please see the input from locals and regular visitors on the Chesapeake Bay Eats thread.

If you want crabs, head for Mike's on the South River. For breakfast in town try Leeward Market in Eastport.

Annapolis really has little to offer in the way of culinary experience and those two places are the bottom of the barrel.

If you like them that is fine and your choice. Your opinion and my opinion.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2011

AnderCranster is on a distinguished road
I have actually seen some restaurants that had a great reputation let their star cooks/chefs go over a dollar or two raise and then hire someone off the street and "train" them to cook their recipes... this is so sad in my opinion. if you have a great kitchen team, then they ARE your success. Pay them, make sure they know they're appreciated and keep it going and grow the business.

It's scary how many restaurant owners don't know this.

But "HEY! Keep the suggestions rolling in!"
Old 07-22-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
But would one "experience" good food at these places? That's what counts to us. We can overlook atmosphere if the food is exceptional (and that doesn't mean "fancy").

I consider myself a good cook (yeah, bragging) and we tend to eat at restaurants that either serve foods that I don't cook or restaurants that have a menu with food I'd like to try (and usually tweak on my own later - Would it kill some of these places to throw in some herbs and spices every now and then?).

I hate spending money on restaurant food that I could have cooked better myself so if we're there with friends, they better have some damned good conversation going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-22-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Dinghies & daysailers for sale, try Backyard Boats - Hobie Cat Parts, Laser Parts, Rigging, Sailing Accesories The owner is a good guy.
You might contact these folks for a small boat rental: Annapolis Sailing School - Boat Rentals We've seen their boats out on the Bay and they seem fairly well maintained, although since we own our own boat we haven't rented from them.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-22-2011

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
For pub food, I'd pick Davis' pub in Eastport or Stan and Joe's on West Street. Nothing fancy, but good, reasonably priced food. For Crabs, Seaside in Glen Burnie has big, full, crabs; Expensive, but worth it. I think Annapolis is not without some great restaurants. O'Leary's and Carroll's creek are quite nice. If you're going to be in DC and want steak, I'd choose The Palm. For Ice Cream, my pick is Annapolis Ice Cream halfway up main street. Best breakfast is at Ken's Back Porch in Edgewater.
Old 07-22-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Fawcett's is a boating store that carries a pretty good selection of stuff. Heck the West Marine Store in Naptown is worth a stop in my book as they carry a lot more sailing stuff in stock than most WM's. APS has a great selection of line in stock, but the store is not all that IMHO. Possibly because I own and sail a larger keel boat and APS seems to focus on smaller one design racers.

Re: Chick and Ruth's I never thought it was all that bad. It is crowded for sure and you will get to know the folks at the next table. But I never saw roaches or any evidence the place was less sanitary than any other restaurant.

What do we think about Davis' Pub? I've never been there, but my brother who lived in Annapolis for a short assignment loved the place and we don't often disagree on restaurants.

Otherwise, I can't say a love any eating establishment in Annapolis. If you make it to B'more, go to Fells Point. There are several good places to eat. Check the CB Eats thread for ideas. I like mussels so we go to Bertha's when we've been up there, but several places within a 2-3 block area get good reviews.

After dinner, go to to Max's Taphouse. No question the best place in town (perhaps in Maryland) for a beer afficianado.
Old 07-22-2011

snotter is on a distinguished road
Faucetts, the Naval Acadamey, AND the Boar's Head tavern.
Old 07-22-2011
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Chick and Ruth's & Cantler's = no way I would eat there again.

Try Osteria 177 on Main Street, not bad.

Since you will be in town on a Thursday - be sure to try the Turkey Sandwich at McGarvey's - @ $8.95 it is superb and not really a sandwich, more like a thanksgiving dinner. They roast a couple of birds on site every thursday. Be sure to be there on time because they tend to run out of turkey around 12:30 pm.

Reynold's tavern has got decent basic food.

Galway Bay for shepherd's pie and Guinness.

Davis' - for drinks, not food.