Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I will add myself to the list of those who will not set foot in Chick and Ruth's or Cantler's. Chick and Ruth's food is way too salty and poorly prepared. I used to be a local and would steer everyone away from there. Cantler's is not worth the trip even by water. Unless you really like crabs and are willing to pay through the nose for them (while there are plenty of other more reasonably priced places nearby) I would not go. I used to crew on a charter boat that did Cantler's trips. Usually they guests would pay for the crews meal there. I brought my own food.

As for good restaurants I will +1 O'Learys. Expensive, but the food and service are outstanding. Typically the further form Ego Alley you get the better the food. +1 to Annapolis Iee Cream up Main St. Try their peanut butter oreo.

Fawcett's is a great chandlery. Since they moved out of downtown their prices have become very reasonable. You will find the staff experienced and knowledgeable. I still buy from their online store (pyacht.com) because many times the prices are better than others.

If you want to kayak while there check out Annapolis Canoe and Kayak (aka Spring River Kayak). The staff is great. As Dave recommended, take a sail on the Woodwind. Especially if the wind is in the upper teens. Nothing like sailing on a 70ft schooner with the leeward rail buried. If you go tell the captain Nick & Renee said hello.

The Naval Academy never gets old. A must see is the model ship museum as mentioned above.

It's only been 8 months since I left and I really miss living there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2011

lapworth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnderCranster View Post
Ayup, 3 whole days: July 26, 28 & 29.

Where would you go?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have,
I would see if anyone is going sailing around here. I might even be able to offer you a ride. PM me
Old 07-22-2011

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road
Boatyard grill just across the Spa Creek bridge in Eastport. Good food off the beaten path, mostly locals. Great bar too!

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Lot's of opinions, including mine. I line up with the other locals. Davis' Pub is pretty good and a great place to meet local sailors on Wed and Thu nights after beer can races. Boatyard is nice, but can be loud. Carrol's Creek is nicer and accordingly more expensive but a great view. Chart House lounge is less expensive than the dining room with a better view of the finish of Wed races and more comfortable seats. The best view is from the deck of Eastport Yacht Club - find a member to take you in. Leeward Market in Eastport is great for breakfast, as is Ken's Kitchen at ALM. Best Chinese in 25 miles is Jack's Fortune next to the Giant. Parthenon is a very good Greek place. Jack's and Parthenon are a reasonable walk from the dinghy dock at Back Creek Nature Park.

Oh - for touristy things there is a great horse-drawn carriage that leaves from the base of Main Street.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I'll throw in a couple of cents...

If you have the time take a trip over the bay bridge and visit St. Michaels and/or Oxford. Its about an hour drive (as long as you don't leave on a Friday or return on a Sunday). The maritime museum in SM is fantastic. There is a ferry from SM to Oxford.

Did anyone mention Chesapeake Light Craft (very close to Bacons)? A must see http://www.clcboats.com/index.php

Otherwise, most have already mentioned some great things to do.

Oh yea...as far as eateries...I would tend to agree with Auspicious or as he said, check out the Ches Bay Eats thread to see various input. Also, grab a Zagat guide .

http://www.zagat.com/l/baltimore--annapolis/top-lists

I'd offer to take you for a sail but the boat is on the hard for the season

Last edited by T37Chef; 07-22-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2011
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
I second the Chesapeake Light Craft - give them a call first. A couple of years ago we went there with the Chesapeake Morgan Association - they gave us a very informative tour. Very accommodating folks. Interesting to see how their products (boat kits) are made,

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

Old 07-25-2011

AnderCranster is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the information and ideas everyone. We're looking forward to our time in the area
Old 07-25-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
OMG...I have to say something. Dave and Shaun (SV Auspicious and T37chef) are spot on. Annpolis is a culinary wasteland berift of good restaurants.

Those are not Caraway seends on you rye at Chick and Ruths, but are.......cockroaches. The place is filthy. Even if the food was good (and its not) I will NEVER eat somewhere where sanitation is an afterthought.

Its sad when the best restaurant in town is a sushi/ Tappan place called Joss. Carol Creek in Eastport is not bad.

The locals know the BETTER restaurants are in Baltimore. Roys (of Maui) and Charleston ( Cindy Wolf restaurant) lead the way. 3 walking blocks from Inner Harbor is Little Italy with over 50 family owned restuarants where you can get everything from homemade meatballs and shells to upscale northern Italian cusine. Our favorites are Della Norte and LaScala. The bars and pubs in Fells Point put Annapolis to shame. I am not sure why this turned out this way, but they are the facts.

Like previously said check out the restuarants the local cruisers have placed and commented on on the list SV Auspicious has been maintaining. It is very accurate.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-25-2011
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Best Chinese in 25 miles is Jack's Fortune next to the Giant. .
I tried Jack's yesterday for lunch. I am not a great fan of chinese food but Jack's served some pretty OK stuff and excellent value @ $7.95 for Sechuan Beef including an egg roll, fried rice and hot & sour soup.

I will definetely try Parthenon (not open on Sundays) this week since I do like Greek tucker.

Cheers / Jorgen
Old 07-25-2011

AnderCranster is on a distinguished road
Heheh, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel

We're WAAAAY more interested in sailing venues, stores, shops etc than we are the food. My first career was as a sous chef in northern california, so if we really need it I'll cook it.

We live 40 minutes from a land locked lake and have literally one boating store... We're _really excited_ when we've got 7 knots of wind, because it doesn't happen often.

So for us, coming to this area is like an Elvis fan visiting Graceland.

We just got back from Ocean City, MD where we stayed across the road from Seacrets in an incredible condo owned by a friend. That was a great start.

Tomorrow morning we're headed out early to Annapolis. I've got a list of rigging and deck parts that I want to buy, as well as some sheets, etc. So I plan on squeezing every bit of enjoyment out of that that I can.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but for me there isn't much in the world that can compare to the beauty of a sailboat. Whether it's a model, a painting or the real thing. I can literally spend hours just looking at one sailboat. Getting to know its lines and appreciating every inch of it.

Ok, gotta get some sleep. Thanks again for all of the great information.