SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   OK, i have 3 free days in the Annapolis area... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/76625-ok-i-have-3-free-days-annapolis-area.html)

AnderCranster 07-21-2011 10:15 PM

OK, i have 3 free days in the Annapolis area...

Ayup, 3 whole days: July 26, 28 & 29.

I generally only come here for the US Sailboat show in October, and never get anywhere else around here...

Where would you go?

What would you do?

Some things I'd really like to do are:

- shop at some awesome sailing stores, like APS and Bacons, but those are the only two I know about, are there any other good ones in the area?

- I'd love to take a look at some sailing dinghies and day-sailors, have no idea where though, besides APS...

- Are there any small sailboat rentals available here?

- I'd flip for a chance to check out a sailboat builders shop

- my daughter would flip to visit someplace that's haunted...

Thanks for any suggestions you may have,

AnderCranster 07-21-2011 11:14 PM

Awesome suggestions, thanks. I never even thought about food, thanks for throwing that in too.

Fairwinds sound like fun,places like this are hard to discover without forums like this one,

chrisncate 07-21-2011 11:40 PM

No prob, happy to suggest stuff! The food around here is hard to beat if you go to the local joints...

Best of luck in your travels while here, feel free to pm me for directions, more eats suggestions, etc... :)

AnderCranster 07-22-2011 08:15 AM

The ONLY boating store in my area is West Marine...

Quickstep192 07-22-2011 08:20 AM

The model ship museum at the Naval Academy would definitely be on my list. Some of the models are just amazing; and it's free!

DRFerron 07-22-2011 08:57 AM

Naval Academy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickstep192 (Post 753163)
The model ship museum at the Naval Academy would definitely be on my list. Some of the models are just amazing; and it's free!

I second this suggestion. A stroll around the grounds, too, if not too hot for you. We've visited three times and still haven't seen everything.

Tempest 07-22-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 753171)
I second this suggestion. A stroll around the grounds, too, if not too hot for you. We've visited three times and still haven't seen everything.

And don't forget John Paul Jones tomb at the Naval Academy.

For food, there's almost too many places to mention:

Cantlers for Crabs and a riverside view might be a good stop
Cantler's Riverside Inn | Where the Watermen Gather

For Steak it's got to be Lewnes' Lewnes' Steakhouse

I like the Raw bar at Mc Garvey's

There's often a good band and Middletons.

Breakfast at Chick and Ruth's Annapolis, Maryland Delicatessen Chick and Ruth's Delly
is an experience.

Though, I like the Cafe Normandie brunch.

PalmettoSailor 07-22-2011 09:49 AM

How can it be that no one's said a word about Fawcetts?

It used to be right on Ego Alley, but they've moved over by West Marine now. The Inflateable store is just down the road.

AnderCranster 07-22-2011 10:42 AM

What is Fawcetts?

My wife and daughter have given a big thumbs up to the model boat museum.

And I think I've gained some weight reading about the food ideas. That deli looks awesome.

SVAuspicious 07-22-2011 10:48 AM

See the Chesapeake Bay Eats thread for ideas on places to eat. Cantler's is a pit. Chick & Ruth's is as bad. Pick other places. As noted above if you are a foodie go to Baltimore or DC.

APS is a great visit and Bacon's is fun also. Fawcett is down Bay Ridge from West Marine.

There is a place around the corner from City Dock that does Segway tours - lots of history (maybe not haunted) that is great fun as long as it isn't too hot.

Woodwind schooner tours of the Bay are a great way to spend some time on the water as a visitor.

Visit the Annapolis Maritime Museum in Eastport.

Ice cream at City Dock eaten by the dinghy dock is nice.