Notes from my log - no advice needed, but I am sure I will get some - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've sailed all over New England and the northern half of the Chesapeake. There is no area more congested with floating hazards than Maine. None even close.
Note to self: Sailing in Maine. Get a house in Portland ME, retire there.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
It's no guarantee against snagging a pot, of course, but I've had pretty good luck with a length of light spectra strung taut between the trailing edge of my keel, and the bottom of my rudder...

I'd suggest anyone sailing in a place like Maine with a split underbody configure such a setup, it's a simple thing to do... Pre-rig it, attaching it to the keel before launch with a pair of snap hooks, so you can just dive on the rudder and clip it on after launch, and the travelift sling is removed...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-23-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If you see one too late, the best reaction is to go to neutral, not try to take evasive maneuvers.
Thank you. I had not heard this before. I'll add it to my notebook for the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-24-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Thank you. I had not heard this before. I'll add it to my notebook for the future.
"If you see one too late, the best reaction is to go to neutral, not try to take evasive maneuvers."

Totally - 100%. I should have mentioned that. This is our tenth or eleventh summer down in Maine and for us, just because we see so many and occasionally don't see them, yes - neutral as fast as you can.

So much easier to use the boat hook to push the line past the rudder than to have to "un-braid" very tightly wound line.

Thanks for the reminder.

We had refreshments at Danny Murphy's last evening with Jeff and Karen of Active Captain. Jeff often talks at big boat shows and his topic is often "lobster floats" and how to deal with them. He was saying that what I picked up was probably not visible at all. Many times when they are that close a pair will get "caught" together at low tide and then at high they do not break the surface, but lie in wait to grab the unsuspecting yachtie at about two feet under the surface.

True or not in my case, I do not know, but it made me feel a bit better, anyway.

Shalom all

Rik
Old 07-24-2011

capecodda is on a distinguished road
Rik,

Good job getting off. My "worst" summer for lobsta pot tangling I did it twice. The poly line can get to the point where it not only forms a birds nest around your prop, but also melts in place.

Windy, choppy, foggy, tide running, and 30' long toggles. I've gotten headaches just trying to keep watch in these conditions. You try to figure out which way the toggles are lying, so you can predict which floats are attached by trip lines. But it doesn't always work.

Nevertheless, wishin I was in Maine. Heading up mid/late August
Old 07-24-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Just to be very explicit. Not only put the motor in neutral but center the helm if you see at the last moment you are going to run over a pot.

The motor in neutral is obvious.
Centering the helm helps with many boat because of their underwater configuration.

When you turn the helm openings between a skeg and rudder or hull and rudder can open up and make it easier to snag a line.
Centered rudder keeps the bottom as streamline as possible and hopefully with shed the line.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.