Notes from my log - no advice needed, but I am sure I will get some - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Notes from my log - no advice needed, but I am sure I will get some

Hi all - here are notes from my log from a couple of days ago. Comments are welcome

Irwin Citation 34 sailboat, Linda, cat and I aboard.

----------------

Notes: It got too windy in Buckle and the forecast was for increasing winds. We set out for Bucks Harbour in 15-20 knot winds that were building. We had an unkind experience with a lobster float that became very entangled in the prop. It took me almost 40 minutes in the water to untangle as much as I could and cut the last wrap that was too tight to untangle. Seas were 3 to 4 feet which made working under the bouncing boat precarious. God is good, and no damage was done to my old body. Much more by providence than by skill.

Lesson learned and things I did right:

1 - I tied the trailing lobster line (and accompanying gear) off to the stern and so took the tension off the wrapped line and the prop / shaft. I cut the line right by the float and started un-wrapping. Long and tedious. Once I got that unwrapped as much as I could I got that piece off part of the prop. I could not unwrap the last piece. It was so entwined with itself that it looked like double braid rather than laid line. I cut it at the prop.

2 - I started with a full wet suit. Hood, boots and gloves Sometimes I just use a shorty but I am glad I did not try that.

Two lobster boats came by to offer help. Miss Coke offered to standby. I thanked them, found what channel they were on and told them I'd call if I thought they could help. I called and cleared with them once we were free.

Once free we tried to sail clear but we were amongst a kazillion pots and it was blowing 20-25 a that point. Put out about ten feet of jib and motor-sailed to Bucks Harbor. The closer we got the less were the waves. Still the wind, but much more manageable.

Once into Bucks Hrbr we went into the SE end looking for the Bucks Harbour Yacht Club guest mooring bud could not find it. At this point we picked up a mooring with no boat on it. Time to get out of the wet suit and have a hot shower.

Next time (if possible):

Secure the line to boat, get the sails ready, cut the line and sail to a safe Hrbr to free the prop. Too dangerous being under a bouncing boat
Old 07-23-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
'sounds like you have your own wise choices and good advice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
I must miss something somewhere in your post. How did you entangle with the lobster traps at the beginning? Was the water too shadow and the line was floating on the water surface?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-23-2011

Entangled because of a combination of:

High tide
Floats not visible
Floats with long toggles
Two to three foot seas

We just did not see that one. And there were literally hundreds of them

Rik
Old 07-23-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
Entangled because of a combination of:

High tide
Floats not visible
Floats with long toggles
Two to three foot seas

We just did not see that one. And there were literally hundreds of them

Rik
Undertand. We have the same if not more in the Chesapeake bay.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-23-2011
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I must miss something somewhere in your post. How did you entangle with the lobster traps at the beginning? Was the water too shadow and the line was floating on the water surface?
There are more lobster traps than trees in Maine--if you have been there you wouldn't have to ask. The only times I got hung up was when a cross current swept me into the potlines.
Old 07-23-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Sometimes just a split second of inattention is all it takes...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-23-2011

Add to that the wind on our beam and a 10 inch lobster pot float becomes a fifteen foot target to try and miss. If you can see the main float at all.

Cheers all.
Old 07-23-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradclife View Post
The only times I got hung up was when a cross current swept me into the potlines.
This is most likely the reason to get caught with the pot lines together with the low tide.

I am not interested in who has the more pots in their water (Maine v. Chesapeake). I am interested learning new tricks to avoid them, although I think I am quite good at navigating around them even in the moonless nite.

In case there are watermen here on sailnet; I meant no harm. I respect your way of life to make an honest living. The bay is your office in which I am only passing through for my down time pleasure. Put in as many pots as you wish, I will manage it.

Peace on Earth.

Fine Print:
Old 07-23-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I've sailed all over New England and the northern half of the Chesapeake. There is no area more congested with floating hazards than Maine. None even close.

There are two kinds of sailors in Maine, those who have grabbed a pot they didn't see and, those who will......

If you see one too late, the best reaction is to go to neutral, not try to take evasive maneuvers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.