docking under sail legal? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 Old 07-23-2011 Thread Starter
Both ends are pointy.

Question docking under sail legal?

All of my sailing experience is off trailers. This year I bought a Nor'sea 27 and leased a slip. Due to more confusion and hassle than I want to get into now, the boat is not yet in her slip.
And, if it should matter to my question, the slip is in a lake in Missouri.

Now for the question: I saw a post on another thread referring to a dockmate who doesn't have an engine and docks under sail. I don't think my marina permits this, but actually don't know. Is it common for marinas to permit slipholders to dock under sail?
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 07-23-2011
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Beer in the icebox and popcorn on the stove for this one.
post #3 of 64 Old 07-23-2011 Thread Starter
Both ends are pointy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Beer in the icebox and popcorn on the stove for this one.
Duh... huh?

Just because I like it.
post #4 of 64 Old 07-23-2011
Dragon Mod

Dock
Docking under sail

I have never seen a US law that addresses docking under sail. If a marina does not allow it, that is its own regulation.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
post #5 of 64 Old 07-23-2011 Thread Starter
Both ends are pointy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I have never seen a US law that addresses docking under sail. If a marina does not allow it, that is its own regulation.
Yeah well, I used the term "legal" too loosely. The real question should have been "Is docking under sail commonly permitted by marinas?"

Just because I like it.
post #6 of 64 Old 07-23-2011
Oday30!

My take on is that most marina's have bad experiencess with "expert sailors" not to mention how badly stink potters interpret sailboats when under sail.

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #7 of 64 Old 07-23-2011
Dragon Mod

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkrig View Post
Duh... huh?
Perhaps TQA was responding to the fact that any post that contains a "legal" question is just asking for heated discussion from which the sidelines with beer and popcorn is the best place to observe, staying well clear of the line of fire.

Having started my own seemingly innocent threads that went quickly downhill, that's my guess. Or maybe I'm just gun shy.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
post #8 of 64 Old 07-23-2011

I've seen boats dock under sail in most marinas. I've never read a prohibition of it in any agreement, not that it would surprise me.

We have to back down a fairway that is about 10 feet wider than our boat and 25 ft narrower than we are long, then pull in between two others on a long peer. When we saw the lightening regatta return and pull in under sail, we thought it looked easy.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 64 Old 07-23-2011 Thread Starter
Both ends are pointy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Perhaps TQA was responding to the fact that any post that contains a "legal" question is just asking for heated discussion from which the sidelines with beer and popcorn is the best place to observe, staying well clear of the line of fire.

Having started my own seemingly innocent threads that went quickly downhill, that's my guess. Or maybe I'm just gun shy.
Indeed. I'm rapidly learning not to toss in words like "legal" when what I really mean is "permitted by management."

Just because I like it.
post #10 of 64 Old 07-23-2011

Use to make landings under sail with a 26 ft knock-about sloop. And was putting it places where other people couldn't with their sink pots. But then I've been handling ships & boats all my adult life and little details like engine or no engine really don't worry me. All it takes is Practice. Start with an open face pier/quaywall and slowly work toward tighter places. Be sure to take in account the wind, currents and fetch.
Fetch is the distance your boat will drift after you removed all forms of power or sail.

1600 Ton Master, 2nd Mate Unlimited Tonnage

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.