Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011

GreatLakesSailer is on a distinguished road
Catalina 320 Dodger/Bimini Frames

I would like to change the shape of my dodge and add a bimini to my boat. I've been looking for a dealer to buy new frames but haven't been able to find any. Has anyone run across a dealer?
Thanks
Greg
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2011

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
Many of the canvas guys make their own frames. With so many different configurations I cannot imagine many businesses trying to stock frames for specific boats, let alone try to stock something to change the shape on a standard boat. Try your sailmaker/canvas shop.
Old 07-24-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Sailrite has some doger/ bimini kits

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-25-2011

Glen53 is on a distinguished road
Kits are nice and moderately priced, but lack the strength and safety of a 7/8” or 1” SS frame constructed specifically for your craft. Any reputable canvas shop will be able to help you with this. Ask boaters you know who they recommend, and expect to pay around $500 for the frame alone
Old 07-25-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Glen,

I disagree. I purchased the 1" tubing as well as the handles and special joints at Sailrite. Their prices were far cheaper I found elsewhere. The binding, UV Thread, zippers, snap kits, webbing binding etc. also. The sunbrella can be found cheaper elsewhere. There materials at sailrite are top notch. I am not affiliated with sailrite in any way.

There is nothing like a good canvas maker I agree...thats why a custom bimini -dodger costs so many thousands. It is not the4 materials as they are the same..it is their expertise as well as their experience and they have all the proper tools.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-25-2011

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
How many bows do you want? They are not all the same width!
The real hard part as I am starting to learn is where to put the feet of the frame in the right places so they do not interfere with your winches and cleats; and get the height correct, meaning as high as possible without interfering with your boom, all the while keeping the top level.
Now, how do you want it to fold? forward or aft, and what will that interfere with?
Not so simple.

Dick

Last edited by Flybyknight; 07-25-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Add
Old 07-25-2011

MarkSailor is on a distinguished road
I have a C320 with a dodger that attaches to my bimini, but it was on the boat when I bought it, and I don't know where the prior owner got it. However, I noticed when I was looking for my boat that a lot of the C320's out there had a fully enclosed cockpit option (including side curtains). If you try the C320 owner's association you can probably find someone who knows the manufacturer of those dodger/bimini combinations. They are at "www.catalina320.com".

Another resource for Catalina owners is "www.catalinadirect.com". They essentially track down the suppliers to Catalina for various parts and then re-sell replacement parts. I am not affiliated with them, but they were very helpful to me in finding some small parts that needed replacement on my boat.

If you find the frame without the canvas, I agree with the previous post about finding the Sunbrella material cheaper if you shop for it from a fabric store instead of a sailmaker or awning shop. The trick is to find a shop that will let you supply the materials yourself.

Good Luck with your project. We can all use a little shade in the summer.
Old 07-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Glen,

I disagree. I purchased the 1" tubing as well as the handles and special joints at Sailrite. Their prices were far cheaper I found elsewhere. The binding, UV Thread, zippers, snap kits, webbing binding etc. also. The sunbrella can be found cheaper elsewhere. There materials at sailrite are top notch. I am not affiliated with sailrite in any way.

There is nothing like a good canvas maker I agree...thats why a custom bimini -dodger costs so many thousands. It is not the4 materials as they are the same..it is their expertise as well as their experience and they have all the proper tools.

Dave
Dave was the frame made in sections, so it could be shipped easily, or were the bows in one piece. Sorry to imply that Sailrite wasn’t up to quality, in-fact we bought a 150 kit from them to replace our head sail. I am happy with the way that it turned out, and I can see that you are happy with your bimini, so I will add Sailrite too the list of quality manufactures of stainless frames.
You sound like you did some research before purchasing your system, so you may agree that there are a lot of mail order firms offering discounted products that are not very solid. We get a lot of customers that say they will not use the bimini to grab onto when going forward, but I know at some time or another, they (or some one else on board) will. So my concern is for the safety of the crew. The system MUST be solid
Old 07-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybyknight View Post
How many bows do you want? They are not all the same width!
The real hard part as I am starting to learn is where to put the feet of the frame in the right places so they do not interfere with your winches and cleats; and get the height correct, meaning as high as possible without interfering with your boom, all the while keeping the top level.
Now, how do you want it to fold? forward or aft, and what will that interfere with?
Not so simple.

Dick
Dick if you are familiar with the tool that electricians use to bind conduit, then bower or buy one, along with a pipe cutter and get some sticks of half inch conduit. You can use this as a cheep way to figure out the “Leg Length” of your bows

First off don’t worry about your mock up going all the way across to cockpit. You are looking to find the height of the bimini or dodger, and how it will look. So what you are making will only go from the intended mounting point to where the bow bends, plus a foot or two across.

Have someone hold a tape measure at the point you think you want the “Deck Hinge” to be mounted.
Pull the tape on about a 45 degree angle to the height and distance you want the frame to cover
With that measurement you can start to experiment with the conduit

Put a 90 degree bend a foot or so from the end of the tubing
Measure the distance (including the radius of the arc) and cut it
Have someone hold it in place and see if it looks right (be sure to tape the end of the tube, so you don’t scratch anything)
Start longer then you think and cut as needed until it is just right
Now check if it will interfere with anything
The secondary bow will attach to this bow so you can figure it’s leg length making sure it will fold even to the other (if you intend on having a frame that folds)

It may seem like a lot of work and some extra cost, but ending up with the right frame is priceless
Old 07-26-2011

Cptken is on a distinguished road
Ask around your marina for a good canvas person. They can and will make one to your specifications. A good one will last 8-10 years so it is worth the investment. Also take a look around your marina, blown out/baggy dodgers & bimini's really detract from the overall appearance, again a good one is worth the investment. I've been sewing canvas for years, I'll do a bimini, but getting the dodger right takes a pro.

Things to think about. Do you want to look through or over the dodger from the helm? Nothing is more annoying than having the rails right in your sight line. Do you need handrails on the dodger? Do you need any special cutouts for sheets, halyards, traveller lines? Do you want the center window to roll up for ventilation? Placement of the frames/mounts to avoid interference with winch handles. Will they be put up/taken down once a season or more often? Will they be hard mounted with pipe supports or soft mounted with adjustable straps? Which do you need more, the dodger or the Bimini? Might want to split the purchase into multiple years.