SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Will a 6HP inboard push my 4000# Quickstep? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/76698-will-6hp-inboard-push-my-4000-quickstep.html)

Quickstep192 07-24-2011 07:40 AM

Will a 6HP inboard push my 4000# Quickstep?

My boat originally came with an 8HP 2 stroke motor. That was later replaced with a 4 stroke 8HP. The 4 stroke is much heavier than its 2 stroke predecessor. The motor sits in a well and so can't be tilted up to get it out of the water. At nearly 100 pounds, taking it out after each use is a veritable impossibility. At 60 lbs, a 6HP is much more manageable.
But, will it push the boat against a headwind?

Michael K 07-24-2011 08:01 AM

A 6 will do the job well enough. As it won't cavitate as much as a transom hung motor the compromise in HP for weight savings is likely worth it. Just be certain to apply antifouling paint to the outboard's leg and prop so as to limit growth and drag. Frankly, I bet most Quicksteps have outboards smaller than an 8.

dabnis 07-24-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickstep192 (Post 753761)
My boat originally came with an 8HP 2 stroke motor. That was later replaced with a 4 stroke 8HP. The 4 stroke is much heavier than its 2 stroke predecessor. The motor sits in a well and so can't be tilted up to get it out of the water. At nearly 100 pounds, taking it out after each use is a veritable impossibility. At 60 lbs, a 6HP is much more manageable.
But, will it push the boat against a headwind?

A lot depends on your conditions. I had a Coronado 25, which also had a well, at about 4,500 lbs loaded with a 6HP 2 stroke. It was OK in calm conditions but in my opinion somewhat marginal for San Francisco Bay and outside ocean conditions. Changed to a 15HP 2 stroke, which was the same size and weight as a 9.9HP, and had all the power I could use. A 9.9 HP would have probably been enough? If you re-power suggest you get the longest shaft that will fit and a "high thrust" prop.

Dabnis

Sublime 07-24-2011 09:38 AM

My boat is 5,000lb displacement and have a 4 stroke 5 hp. It slows a bit with a 20 kt headwind but I've got higher freeboard than you. Still makes decent way.
If you ever move where you have go to against a current, you'll need to bump up.

Flybyknight 07-24-2011 06:58 PM

Depends on the gearing and the prop.
It's all about "thrust"!!
An 8" dia. prop with a 6" pitch
and your 6hp doing wot, you will punch through heavy seas and wind on the nose
with the best of anyone.

Dick

Cruiser2B 07-24-2011 09:13 PM

while I have no personal experience, met a couple in Oriental, NC on a 28ft Triton and they were cruising. They used a 6hp Tohatsu. They said it was enough for them on the ICW and sipped fuel. Hope that helps

dabnis 07-25-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybyknight (Post 753923)
Depends on the gearing and the prop.
It's all about "thrust"!!
An 8" dia. prop with a 6" pitch
and your 6hp doing wot, you will punch through heavy seas and wind on the nose
with the best of anyone.

Dick

IIRC, at the time I had my boat there were no "sailboat special" outboards with extra long shafts and high thrust props and gearing. I used the largest diameter prop with one inch less pitch than the stock prop. It worked fine, with the 15HP I ran mostly at about 3/4 throttle. Full throttle in high short chop pounded the boat pretty badly so I seldom did that. The important thing is to keep the prop in the water in rough conditions regardless of engine size.

Dabnis

TohatsuGuru 07-26-2011 10:36 AM

The short answer is no, it is not enough power. That does not mean that it will not push your boat...It will. It just will not have enough thrust in heavy seas or going against a strong current or wind.

svHyLyte 07-26-2011 12:18 PM

In the late 1960's we sailed a 26' Thunderbird displacing approximately 3800# out of Sausalito, Ca. Our Aux was a 1962 Evenrude "Angler" 6hp 2-stroke mounted in a well that proved quite adequate for our requirements under all circumstances.

FWIW...