Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011

Selkie60 is on a distinguished road
Question Passenger seating regulations

I've read that it is illegal for passengers to sit on the bow of small boats,
but I've been unable to find any regulations pertaining to allowed passenger
seating locations. Can anyone provide a pointer to the relevant regs? I'm
specifically interested in regs that apply to ~35' sailboats in New England
waters. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2011

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Never heard of such a thing.

Mmmmmm...how do you define "the bow"...anything forward of midpoint of the deck?

It's the best place on the boat to sit if it's not taking green water...
Old 07-24-2011

Selkie60 is on a distinguished road
I suspect the issue is primarily passengers sitting on the bow of powerboats with their legs dangling. I've found some safety documents that say that it is unsafe for passengers to sit on the bow or the gunwales and I've read accounts of boats being stopped by LEOs for passengers on the bow. I suspect things may be different if you have lifelines, hence the interest in finding the specific regs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
This one is from MD, quoting from page 7 (emphasis mine):

"Reckless and Negligent Operation
Law prohibits negligent or grossly negligent operation of a vessel that endangers lives and/
or property. The U.S. Coast Guard for this offense may impose a civil penalty under federal
laws. The operator may be subjected to a fine of up to $5,000 and/or imprisonment for up to
one year, or both. The Maryland penalty is a fine of up to $500 for the first offense.
Some examples of actions that may constitute negligent or grossly negligent operation
include but are not limited to:
1. Operating in a swimming area.
2. Operating under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
3. Excessive speed in the vicinity of other boats or in dangerous waters.
4. Hazardous water skiing practices or Personal Watercraft operations (i.e., Jet Ski’s, etc.).
5. Bow riding or riding on seatback, gunwale, or transom."

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/p...ionvessels.pdf

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-24-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie60 View Post
I suspect the issue is primarily passengers sitting on the bow of powerboats with their legs dangling. I've found some safety documents that say that it is unsafe for passengers to sit on the bow or the gunwales and I've read accounts of boats being stopped by LEOs for passengers on the bow. I suspect things may be different if you have lifelines, hence the interest in finding the specific regs.
I believe you are exactly right; that's where the regs started, but at least as far as I was able to find regs I could quote here in MD, it doesn't specifically exclude "powerboat" or "without lifelines." If DRFerron is sees this, I think she's Coast Guard and maybe could help?

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-24-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Bow Riding

The boat must have a seat factory-built into the bow. It's mostly for power boats.

As for bow riding in power boats, I ask people if they'd let their kids ride on the hood of their car while traveling down the expressway. And I have seen many LEOs stop boats for this.

Those on the upper Chesapeake may remember a young girl a few years ago bow riding near the Sassafras. Not a happy ending.

I was on CG patrol near Havre de Grace when a sailboat went by with an adult and infant sitting on the bow. We approached to let them know that the kid needed to wear a life jacket. The woman saw us coming and promptly dropped the kid down the open forward hatch. You'd think she was disposing of some kind of contraband it was so quick.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-24-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Selkie-
While you may find specific examples in various state and local codes, the problem is that people who are unsecured near the edges of boats tend to fall off them and then get hit or chewed up by the props, so the watercops & USCG use their own discretion to determine "reckless operation" or "endangerment" and they'll bark about it.

We had one batch of gung-ho's bitching on the radio about bow-riding, when the "bowrider" was in fact the foredeck crew (with PFD and holding onto the forestay) hanging back to check out the sail shape aloft pre-race. A normal and necessary part of operations, not joyriding at all.

Or as the ballsiest bumper sticker I've ever seen says "BAD COP! NO DONUT!"
Old 07-24-2011
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, sailboats sometimes get shoehorned into rules that were written with small motorboats primarily in mind. Usually the water cops use good judgment, but sometimes you run across one who is not fully enlightened.

On a Sunfish, I'd tend to defy you to find someplace to ride that isn't on the bow, transom, or gunwales!

Last edited by rgscpat; 07-24-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: more words
Old 07-24-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Unfortunately, sailboats sometimes get shoehorned into rules that were written with small motorboats primarily in mind. Usually the water cops use good judgment, but sometimes you run across one who is not fully enlightened.
Usually power boats are stopped when they are traveling at a speed that would make it unsafe if someone fell overboard since chances of the boat running over the person in the water are high. Or, in congested areas, even at slow or no-wake speed you may be stopped because the chances of other boats not seeing the person in the water (should he or she fall overboard) is high. For the last example I'm thinking about events where there are many spectator boats coming and going.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-25-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Isn't the Bow, where we put the newbie for the Mail Buoy watch??

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture