Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
I just bought a Nor'sea 27 for ten grand. Towed it home to Missouri from California behind my 2005 Dodge diesel.
O'course, the trailer cost an extra $7500.00
Only 8 foot beam, no overwide permits.
8100 lbs + trailer, that F250 would know it's back there but it wouldn't be a big deal.
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2011

Kyhillbilly is on a distinguished road
Not to far, thanks for the link. Plans are to get some hands on, walk the docks, hopefully tour some boats, then make the decision. Hoping by next summer I will be sailing on my own boat. When I bought my houseboat, looking was half the fun, the boat was made in Ky sent to Lake Lanier Ga then back to Buckhorn Lake State Park in Ky. Had a blast meeting all the people and looking at all the boats in the process. Took a while, but loved every minute of it. Like to travel and see different things. Lakes are great life, but after a while you hear the same tales over and over. I truly enjoy it, but want more out of life.
Old 07-27-2011

Looked at the Nor'sea 27, ten grand is a great price, the few i looked at were much higher. Really nice boat inside. Agree with the weight statement, pulled 10000 lb load before on gooseneck trailer from Ga. Knew it was there, but had no problems. Wouldn't want to pull every weekend but not planning on it.
Old 07-28-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Most folks looking for trailerable boat mean a boat that they can launch from the trailer themselves. While all the keel boats mentioned above can be placed on a properly customized trailer, they generally still require a crane to be launched or pulled out.

There is only one trailerable I can think off that seems to meet your requirements, and a very nice boat at that: S2 7.9 Class web page

I believe these are launched from their trailers...
Old 07-28-2011

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Ky hillbilly you might want to take a look at this boat.
https://sites.google.com/site/sanjuan77sailboat/

He is asking 12,500. Comes with a dual axle trailer with an assist to rise the mast. The nice thing about a fixed keel is there is no cable or pivot pin to fail.
Old 08-07-2011
Aged Junior Member

Lake Sailor is on a distinguished road
Kyhillbilly,
I sail the lakes of Kentucky in an old Venture 17. On lakes a large boat can be a problem since you will have variable winds, lots of tacking, and trailer to different sites. Going out for a few hours with friends suggests a large cockpit and small cabin. Staying aboard overnight suggests larger cabin, smaller cockpit. Talk to the folks at Cave Run Lake. See what they sail and ask if any transport their boats to the coast. Small lake boats should stay in protected waters on the coast. Consider buying a cheap boat locally and chartering on the coast.
Old 08-08-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
@Kyhillbilly you might also want to checkout a Cal 25. I have read many recommendations for this as a first sailboat. That was my first sailboat, simple but solid with a displacement of over 4500lbs. Easy to walk on with lots of room both in the cockpit and cabin. They are also trailerable but the mast was heavy on that thing. Also it should be solid enough to do a Bahama trip. Part of me still misses that boat.
Old 08-08-2011

Thanks Lake Sailer and sailguy 40. Planning on going to cave run this weekend and help crew a boat or be deadmeat at least for race day. Talked to a few club members who said they would get me on a boat. Should be a lot of fun and get me some experience and info on types of boats I need to be looking at. I have good idea of what I want, just not sure I can find a one size fits all for a starter boat. We will see. I really like the Bristol 27 and catalina 27, but might be too big for the lake I plan to sail in the summer time. May drop down to a 24 or 25 footer they seem to be popular on that lake. Might even go smalle and just camp on shoreline. Learning is part of the journey.
Old 08-08-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Here is a fairly nice Cal 25, not sure if this guy still has the vessel but this looks like it could be a great starter boat that can grow with you. He is selling it super cheap. No mention of what sails if any it comes with but I am sure they at least have one sail. Mainly sounds like somethings just need upgrading because the seller claims this boat is in good condition and ready to sail as is. If I were in the market for a sailboat and seen this, I would get a surveyor to check it out and be all over this one. I would throw $2400 cash at them for the boat, trailer and 9.9 motor and see if they bite on the offer and if so, I hook her up and take her home.

1969 Cal Boats Cal 25 sailboat for sale in Illinois
Old 08-08-2011

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
As boats increase in size they increase rapidly in the difficulty of trailering. A deeper keel (4' or more) is often more difficult to launch because it requires a launch ramp that will accommodate it, and sometimes such a ramp can be hard to find. Also, bigger boats have taller, heavier masts. That means that, while they are capable of being raised and lowered by a single person or a husband and wife, if you have a mast-raising system, they are nevertheless more difficult to raise and lower without help.

Years ago, I bought a Catalina 25 with a 4' deep keel, with the intention of trailering it alot, but found that it was difficult enough to trailer and launch that I only trailered it on rare occasions.

We all have different standards, but by my standards, almost any sailboat over 25' will either be difficult to launch or difficult to raise the mast without help. If you need help from a marina to either launch and retrieve it, or to raise and lower the mast, then trailering can become expensive. Smaller boats are easier to trailer and launch, but they generally have more cramped accommodations. It's always a compromise.

I finally decided to sail my Catalina 25 from a slip at a local lake during the summer, and then bareboat charter a bigger boat for my vacations. It's nice to arrive at the marina at your vacation destination and to find the boat clean and ready to board and sail away. Sometimes it's also fun and a bit less expensive to share the cost of chartering a bigger boat with good friends or relatives.