Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011

jwandling is on a distinguished road
S2 Grand Slam 7.9 Some came with inboards. Daggerboard version can be easily ramp launched and would be fine crossing stream, great for shallow water. Outboard version of this boat would probably be fine, so long as you got long shaft and 15 or more HP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2011

ftldiver is on a distinguished road
fwiw, I've owned a macgregor 26D since 2004. its is lightly built and tender initially, but its taken quite a bit. (I've been out in 25knts (gusts to 35) & ~4-6') once past 20degrees it hardens up pretty good.

the boat is so light it tends to be on top of the waves, and doesnt take a lot of water over the bow... which surprised me.

the cabin is huge, and the pop top helps w/ standing. and the resale mkt is very strong.

that said, its would require a lot of owner upgrades. stock wiring is junk, but standing rigging is good.

but it needs a balanced rudder... once thats done sails very nicely even in big winds...

the thing macgregor got right is the transition from trailer to water. faster than anything else I've seen... I've driven to the ramp and seen Cat 22's still rigging after when I arrived well after them, and I'm walking to the boat in the water.

but if you're only going to launch a few times a year. there are better built boats.

Last edited by ftldiver; 10-18-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2012

Kyhillbilly is on a distinguished road
Hello again, thanks to all for providing your input on helping me choose a trailerable sailboat. This fall a bought a 1981 catalina 22 with trailer. Nothing fancy but will work to get me some experience and out on the water. Went sailing several times with the folks at Caverun Lake, all very nice people and willing to help me out. Plans are now to join the sailing club and try get out on the water as much as possible. Also hope to see the North Carolina Coast sometime this summer with my boat in tow. Not planning on going out in the deep ocean just around close to the shoreline. Took a coarse in ASA 101 in Southport, loved the town also like the area just above Oriental up to Washington. Again Thanks to all for your help.
Old 01-06-2012

LOCKNUT is on a distinguished road
Seaward 26 RK?
Old 01-06-2012

GoodOldBoater is on a distinguished road
Take a look at the North American Spirit by Glastron - late 70s in a 21 and 23 footer design by Robert Finch. Shoal Keel w/ fiberglass centerboard, fast sailer and nice cabin. More info on the 23 footer at: North American/Spirit 23' Sloop (sailboat) resource page

I had a West Wight Potter 19, a 73 Pearson 26 - and finally The Spirit 23. You don't see many of them but the are a real gem of a find - some for little $$$. Beefy hull, pop-top options, big cockpit, and nice little cruising sailer.

Dave
Old 01-07-2012
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyhillbilly View Post
Hello again, thanks to all for providing your input on helping me choose a trailerable sailboat. This fall a bought a 1981 catalina 22 with trailer. Nothing fancy but will work to get me some experience and out on the water. Went sailing several times with the folks at Caverun Lake, all very nice people and willing to help me out. Plans are now to join the sailing club and try get out on the water as much as possible. Also hope to see the North Carolina Coast sometime this summer with my boat in tow. Not planning on going out in the deep ocean just around close to the shoreline. Took a coarse in ASA 101 in Southport, loved the town also like the area just above Oriental up to Washington. Again Thanks to all for your help.
Congrats on your boat! Now the fun starts......

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2012
Banned

mikieg is on a distinguished road
i spent 10 years looking and lurking. i decided on a santana 525. it weighs 2400# and trailers like a ghost! it has all the amenities necessary, as well as great performance. the one thing is stepping the mast. not as easy as they would like you to believe. can be done with two really stout fellas. but better with a third person to get that forestay pin in real quick. stepping is always a stressful event for me. drop your mast once and your boat might just be totaled. the cost of a new mast will approach the value of the boat. hell, get your sails stolen off your boat and your boat will be totaled for that matter. insurance companies look at things in dollars. we look at them much differently.
Old 01-09-2012

H and E is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on the Cat 22. Several friends have them and are very pleased. We wanted a trailerable boat that we could spend a couple of days on and after shopping for about a year ended up with a Catalina 25, wing keel with a diesel inboard, on a trailer and are very pleased with it. I am in the process of building an A frame to step the mast so we can move it without a lot of extra help.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.