Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011

snowdawg is on a distinguished road
First solo

After twenty years of reading and dreaming about it and two years learning to sail my boat. I took to the wind by myself yesterday. Beautiful sunny day up in Howe Sound B.C. Winds were light but a few gusts got me up to 5.5 knots and there was a few calms as well where I could make some adjustments to the rig.
Had a moment while tacking where a jib sheet came undone which really surprised me. I have never ( until now I guess) had a problem with bowlines. but I just hove to and fixed it up and retied the other one just to be sure.

What I found really nice about yesterday was I wasn't trying to explain anything to anyone or look after anybody else. It was just me and the boat and doing everything myself I seems to get a better feel about what was happening. I think I even got the sails balanced for the first time.

To sum it up the day was nothing like I thought it would be.
It was a thousand times better!

Can't wait to go again
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Congrads! I used to sail alone in my 16 daysailor all the time(on a small lake). I am currently working on setting up my Alberg 30 to single hand. I'm almost there. Working on Safety now. I am working on putting the jacklines on. I hope to be single handing her by the fall.

Congrads again! Nothing like a nice peaceful sail!
Old 07-24-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Congrats! That's a big accomplishment!

I enjoy taking other people out, but none of my friends/family know how to sail. They like to do more leisure flat sailing. I like to test things. I also enjoy my quiet time. Solo sailing is when I decompress.

An impromptu sail is the best. Just freaking go rather than try to work around schedules.
I've got about $200 in parts I need before I've got the Hunter set up to solo.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 07-25-2011

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
Hopefully, that will be me by the end of August.....
Old 07-25-2011
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdawg View Post
After twenty years of reading and dreaming about it and two years learning to sail my boat. I took to the wind by myself yesterday. Beautiful sunny day up in Howe Sound B.C. Winds were light but a few gusts got me up to 5.5 knots and there was a few calms as well where I could make some adjustments to the rig.
Had a moment while tacking where a jib sheet came undone which really surprised me. I have never ( until now I guess) had a problem with bowlines. but I just hove to and fixed it up and retied the other one just to be sure.

What I found really nice about yesterday was I wasn't trying to explain anything to anyone or look after anybody else. It was just me and the boat and doing everything myself I seems to get a better feel about what was happening. I think I even got the sails balanced for the first time.

To sum it up the day was nothing like I thought it would be.
It was a thousand times better!

Can't wait to go again
Congrats, single handed is challenging, fun and rewarding. I have prepared myself for solo voyage for a few years now. It is much more preparation both mentally and physically.

Sailing solo is not an option for me, but a necessity. Fortunately, I find comfort when sailing alone, but yet I don't feel alone. With today's electronics, we are not really sailing into the unknown

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-25-2011

montenido is on a distinguished road
Snowdawg,
Now you are ruined. You are going to go sailing whenever you wish, rather than only when you are able to find crew members. Trust me, that is why I sail solo most of the time. You can try new things, rigging, manuevers, etc., without worrying what people will think.

Enjoy your new-found freedom.

Cheers, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 07-25-2011

zibadun is on a distinguished road
Congrats! I've only gone single handed a few times and I can understand your excitement . On some boats when you balance the sails perfectly you can leave the tiller and go sit on the rail for a while or stand at the bow and just let her sail. If you have a tiller pilot then it's even easier. the feeling of freedom is incredible.
Old 07-26-2011

snowdawg is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys.
Solo sailing is an option for me at the moment as I don’t have any problem finding crew. However it was really nice to have the boat to myself for a change. I really do like the peace and quiet and I am planning some long solo trips for the future.
I do have an auto tiller and although I had to wrestle for control once or twice
(User error) it worked really well.
I also had a few problems to work out as well so this was a good learning experience.

Montenido I was ruined when I bought the boat. Now I have just made it worse
Old 07-26-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Must be great ! congrats ...........
Old 07-26-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
I can remember the first solo sail, it was a Laser but it was the hook I'd been gearing up for. Did that for a while, moved up to a Maricat for the experience in a larger boat (and to ensure it was good for my eldest son) and am now working on my skills to take the Corsair out solo (winter being a minor, but not total, damper on those plans).

Grats on getting the time and the courage to do it on your boat mate!