Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011

meboater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BI40 View Post
At the risk of starting a brawl, in my limited experience with trailering sailboats, a boat either sails well or trailers well. Albeit, my boat-trailering experience was limited to a 25-footer many years ago. It sailed well down wind and at every launch, something broke (most likely my fault).

For the pure joy of sailing a boat in the 25 foot range, I would recommend comparing possibilities to a Folkboat ...not trailer-able at all, but easily able to point within 5 degrees of apparent wind, has low free board and has crossed many oceans. (See Blondie Hasler's junk-rigged, modified boat "Jester") ...mine was a more typical 3/4 rig Folkboat.
I have no doubt you are right. But, the trailer thing is more of a financial decision. We typically launch and once a year. We have pulled out for a hurricane, but otherwise have alway stayed on a mooring.

If yard fees, and dependence on a yard for work was not as much of a concern, the next boat eould be a Catalina 27, or similar. OR, a CD 25d.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2011

meboater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCK View Post
I have had this same debate myself. I have a small performance orientated sportboat. Mostly I just use it to daysail in with dreams of overnighting. I often wonder if I would like a bigger boat that I could trailer and yet still sleep on. I don't think a large trailerable boat is on the market where is is both trailerable and sporty. S2 used to make a 25 footer with a lifting keel that but those boats have been out of production for quite a while. Your next thought might be to look at the 23 foot precision.

But all things considering if you are planning on spending 2-3 weeks at a time on it I would just by the Seaward and call it good. You can't be losing that much in the way in performance for you gain in comfort. And you will be gaining a lot of comfort.
The s2 is on the short list, but nne around here in my price range.
Old 07-25-2011

southshoreS24 is on a distinguished road
I own an S24, IT is basically the same thing as a s25 but was produced first. The s25 has a little better layout, more headroom, and some of the kinks worked out. I am very happy with mine. It is shoal draft but properly tuned points pretty well when you consider the shallow draft. The 25 with the winged keel will be great! Although mine is one of the first produced I am very happy with the build quality and they have only improved over the years. There are other comparable trailer-ables out there. I love my Seaward and they are very responsive to owners of older models.
Old 07-25-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by meboater View Post
f150 fwd with a 302, but a reasonbly low geared rear end that handles our current 3200 lb displacement tanzer reaonably well. It's job is to plow the driveway, and to take the boat to and from the coas annualy. occasionally a commuter iff the cars are in the shop, and I don't want to ride the Suzuki. Should handle the Seaward, particularly with surge brakes.
I used to pull a combined boat / trailer load of 5500 lbs. with a 4wd Dodge 318, and it had to work darn hard on hills.
However, in those days I wasn't pulling a sailboat, I was pulling a 24' pontoon houseboat with a dead flat front. Towed like a parachute. Ymmv

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.

Last edited by junkrig; 07-25-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: put in important detail: old trailer weight.