Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Late or New Model Production boat can survie

Will the late or new model Production boats survive by themselves in the middle of the ocean subjected to 50 to 60 knots wind for 24 hours.

1. Let say take any new production boats from 38 to 42 ft mono-haul, sails are secured and tied down per proper seamanship
2. All ports and hatched are secured and locked per manufacture.
3. One occupant is sitting down by the gallery secured by a five point seat belt with a DOT Helmet.
4. The following boats will be used
a. Hunter
b. Catalina
c. Beneteau
d. Jeanneau 409
e. Bavaria
f. Dufour 40

5. The following boats will be used for control.
a. Caliber 40 LRC
b. HR 40

Questions:
1. Which boat will perish
2. Among the ones still floating, which one will fair better
3. Which one still have a live occupant at the end of the test.
4. Which one the occupant will fair better?

State your assumptions, make your prediction. Helpful discussions are sought but the light-heart entertainment is encouraged.

Don't want anyone sh*t in their pants if this does not jive with them

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2011

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
My WAG: Unless they just get hit by a freak, and that could be 5a&b as well, they all survive. If the boat survives the body survives with bruises.

There have been cases where Catalina 22's have been found floating 3 months after supposedly being lost.

They will all need much work.
Old 07-25-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
With wind comes the waves.

Port light strength comes to mind. If a wave knocks one out, then you will eventually fill from subsequent waves.

Another factor is bulkhead attachment to deck/hull. Once they break loose the hull can collapse.

The boat has a much better chance of surviving if you unstrap the unlucky dude by the galley and let him drive.

I hope the Caliber wins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 07-25-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Well, I know of an SO37 that was abanded, found by a freighter to Europe from the middle of the Atlantic at 20 knots, the given back to the owners that were helicoptered off the boat!

My personal opinion, is ANY and ALL of them if designed for off shore use, per the european A std, should handle an F10 storm with 30'/10M seas. Assuming you have done what you should do as you describe. secure everything, put out a drogue if need be etc.

Here is a link to an article about an SO32 dealing with F8 and 9 winds
http://jeanneau.proboards.com/index....ay&thread=1728

marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 07-25-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

I have been hearing these concerns for many years. But I have not able to gather any evidences the current port hole and cockpit are too big and led to failure.

It is hard to believe in today CAD and manufacture process, the largest boat manufacture does not know how to build a porthole to withstand Force 10 waves. Likewise, a large cockpit does not mean it must be fatal because of the water wt or occupant being knocked around. There is no reason for Beneteau/Jeanneau to compromise the safety of their customers. Like other big manufactures, Hunter or Catalina, they are here for the long haul.

Are we too stubborn only to beleive in the past is the best? If you look at today's HR design, HR65. Her stern is much wider than those in the past.

If all the production boats that i mentioned above still floating after the said storm, they have earned their CE A category rating. Although I do realize that just like everything else, if 10 people like it, there will be equal or more people dislike it.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-25-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Seems like you answered your own question with a statement. Are you searching for looking for someone to authenticate/ substantiate your views that Jennaues, Hunters, Benetaues are the equal of the the same sized Caliber and Halberg Rassey. I am not of the opinion they are even in the same zip code.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-25-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
On one hand, they are not in the same zip code, on another, they probably are. You are going to spend double to triple to get an HR vs a jeaneau etc. So yes, you would expect the HR to be a nicer, dare I say better built boat to a degree. From the basic boat design, what it can handle storm wise, all "should be" equal. I would expect the HR to have a nicer interior, possibly bigger winches or electric vs manuals, Nicer cushions, door fittings etc.

Marty
Old 07-25-2011

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
I agree that HR and Caliber and Swan are better built boats. That was not the question!

I also make the point that it would really depend on how good the sailor was. In some cases putting them on the wheel to control the boat would give it a better chance. In some cases not. Again, not the question!
Old 07-25-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Exactly Marty.

I don't need to drive an Aston Martin to LA if a BMW or even an VW will do. However, if I don't drive an Aston Martin to LA, my safety will be compromised , then by all means I will get an Aston Martin. In nutshell, this is what this post about.

When everything is equal, how safe are these production boats? Will boat have strong enough hull and rigging to survive the beating of the ocean? All others are easy to upgrade such as handholds, too wide cockpit, tankage, storage room etc.

From the business side, a production boat is more attractive and ease of managing it.

Fine Print:
Old 07-25-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandchris View Post

I also make the point that it would really depend on how good the sailor was.
That is not an option in this exercise. :P. I want to remove the human factor to evaluate the boats.

Fine Print: