Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Went out this evening and some oik had parked their yacht in the middle of my favourite sailing grounds

The Attessa IV, largest superyacht to be launched in North America fresh from her extensive refit, all 330ft of her! Have to say she is a pretty impressive tub, we contemplated hoisted the Jolly Roger and taking her
Phoned the Admiral and got her to walk down to the waterfront to take some photos of my own superyacht playing with this "slightly" larger one.

Shame my outhaul let go around this time and stopped me flattening the main, the wind went from 2knots to 18 knots in a couple of minutes so it got kind of interesting all of a sudden, I had also just been about to swap out the 130 for the 150, glad I didn't.
Nice shot, Paul…

ATESSA IV was actually built in Japan, and lengthened by about 30 feet during her recent refit…

Washington also owns a smaller sister, the 225’ Feadship ATESSA III, seen here in Venice:

These boats get around, though chances are she was shipped to the Med on a Dockwise ship…

BTW, don’t assume every helicopter you see on a megayacht can actually fly, there are a number of dummies out there just for show… A good tip-off is when you see the clearance between the rotor and the yacht’s superstructure and antennas, etc, measured in inches… (grin)

You’re really gotta wonder about the sort of guy who puts a fake chopper on his yacht, eh? The Eagles probably nailed it, in THE KING OF HOLLYWOOD:

Quote:

You’d know it if you saw his stuff
The Man just isn’t big enough…

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by primerate84 View Post
And by the way, who is Dennis Washington? I've heard of Carlos Slim, but not him.
He's often described as a "Montana Industrialist", but his vast wealth made in America doesn't keep him from proudly flying the flag of the Caymans from his yachts, of course... According to FORBES, he was worth about $4 billion in 2008...

In other words, a Job Creator who obviously needs an extension of his tax cut... (grin)
Old 07-26-2011

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
don’t assume every helicopter you see on a megayacht can actually fly
I can vouch for the one on Attessa IV as it took off and landed whilst we were out there. I shudder to think how much that thing takes to run, even the little motorboat up on the 2nd deck is probably worth half a million $

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
I can vouch for the one on Attessa IV as it took off and landed whilst we were out there. I shudder to think how much that thing takes to run, even the little motorboat up on the 2nd deck is probably worth half a million $
A few years ago Paul Allen (Microsoft) had his 450+ foot boat in Vancouver for a little work. I spoke to a guy who worked on the fuel barge at the time and he said it cost $970,000 to gas it up!!!

It also had a 46 foot sailboat on davits in case anybody felt like daysailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-26-2011

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I love that little orange hull
She makes me smile every time I see her, just screams fun.

Old 07-26-2011
Rapscallion

epaolino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It also had a 46 foot sailboat on davits in case anybody felt like daysailing
Oh my ......
Old 07-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
A few years ago Paul Allen (Microsoft) had his 450+ foot boat in Vancouver for a little work. I spoke to a guy who worked on the fuel barge at the time and he said it cost $970,000 to gas it up!!!

It also had a 46 foot sailboat on davits in case anybody felt like daysailing.
Only 46 feet, huh? What if someone wanted to overnight in an anchorage, or something?

When it comes to megayachts, no one comes close to the Russians…

The 370-footer LE GRAND BLEU used to be owned by Roman Abramovich… Its daysailer is the 74’ BELLATRIX…

On the starboard side, there is stowed a 67’ “runabout”, for those who might prefer to tool around under power…

Abramovitch gave LE GRAND BLEU to a business associate as a present a few years ago… Around the same time, he sold his 282’ EXTASEA, then shortly thereafter had to give his 370’ PELORUS to his ex-wife in a divorce settlement…

Fortunately for him, he was thinking ahead, and recently took delivery of the 560’ ECLIPSE, for the time being the world’s largest private yacht…

Old 07-27-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Okay, now things are just getting ridiculous.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 07-27-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by primerate84 View Post
My niece's husband has a Marquis 720 Tri Deck and I asked how much it cost to fill up the tanks and his reply was "a little to the north of 6 grand". Wow, imagine what that yacht's fuel bill would be! And by the way, who is Dennis Washington? I've heard of Carlos Slim, but not him.
6 grand that's not so bad for a tri deck. It costs over $1000 just for my little tub.