SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Full Keel vs. Wing Keel small boats

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Rozz 
#1 ·
Trying to decide what type boat to buy. From what I understand Full Keels are safer in the water but slower sailing. If true , how big of a difference is there.
Also, will an outboard on a 26-28 footer be as powerful as an inboard in harsh weather conditions. Plans are to sail a small lake in kentucky during the summer and move it to the coast in the winter months, with some trips to the bahamas.

#2 ·
The deep draft is always better from a sailing performance point BUT wont do much good if you cant go were you need to SO the tradeoff must be made based on were your going

The outboard is not going to stay in the water that well in harsh weather conditions

#3 ·
The outboard is not going to stay in the water that well in harsh weather conditions
I second this. Man, do I ever second this.

Our first boat was a 26 footer with an outboard. Every time we went outside the breakwater and hit the 3-4 foot swells the prop would jump out of the water and cavitate, and it was a long shaft that was a good ways down in the water. I HATED that. Not only was it frustrating, because I would have to constantly throttle back so I didn't throw a piston through the side of the engine, but I could hardly enjoy motoring anywhere if we had to.

The second boat had in inboard diesel, and I would never go back after that. One of my first rules in buying any boat if I had to work my way up again, would me that it would have to have an inboard diesel. No inboard diesel? So sale!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.