Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011

Kyhillbilly is on a distinguished road
Winter sailing months around NC, SC,

Was wondering about the temps for southeast coast sailing in winter months. Cooler temps in low 40 fine for me, but think 40 degrees on water would be very different. Question is, how far down south would I need to travel to enjoy the sailing during the winter months. I have been asking lotts of questions, thanks to everyone for their replies. Trying to make a decision on how doable my sailing dreams are.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyhillbilly View Post
Was wondering about the temps for southeast coast sailing in winter months. Cooler temps in low 40 fine for me, but think 40 degrees on water would be very different. Question is, how far down south would I need to travel to enjoy the sailing during the winter months. I have been asking lotts of questions, thanks to everyone for their replies. Trying to make a decision on how doable my sailing dreams are.
Impossible question. Some people sail all year, so long as the water isn't hard. Some sail for only a few months (they procrastinate in the spring, think it's too hot in the summer, and then when any chill aproaches they declare the season finished). A few factors:

* The boat. Some are protected, some are open, some are wet, some are dry.
* A heater makes a big difference.
* If swimming is important, winter is bad. If not sweating is important, winter is nice.
* Some waterfront businesses may not be open out-of-season.
* Winterizing is a non-issue from about Norfolk south.
* 40 on the water is about the same, but a bit more wind and getting wet is les fun.
* Wind is more dependable in the off-season. Pick days when there is not too much.

Sail Delmarva: Winter Sailing

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
My neighbor sails year round in Maine. If the sun is out it is quite nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
My neighbor sails year round in Maine. If the sun is out it is quite nice.
And quieter.

I should have added that I don't feel that sailing is a year-round activity in all southern locations; too hot and less dependable wind... except for the dependable thunderstorms.
AncientTech likes this.

Old 07-26-2011

Kyhillbilly is on a distinguished road
Thanksfor the info, North Carolina and South Carolina are the two areas I am focused on for now. In the comstruction business and winter time is a dead time for us. From end of December to end of February usually a very slow time.
Old 07-26-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Aside from the temps, there is the basic sailing area to consider. In SC, you're basically talking about ocean sailing (you can sail Charleston Harbor and Port Royal Sound (North end of Hilton Head Island) ). In NC you have a much wider range of inshore venues, especially if based in Oriental. This presumes of course that you want to sail, not just be on the boat.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-26-2011

Tynesider is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Having a motor sailer here in the UK up on the North East Coast a lot of us sail all year round.

Last year I often sailed up to -12 Degrees 'C' (10.4F) in the North Sea but the 'wind chill' can be -25 Deg C (-13F) You do however have to take those extra safety precautions especialy on deck and watch you sails don't freeze up 'if' they get wet.

If like me you sail mostly single handed go prepared, have a flask of hot coffee at hand, wear sensible winter clothing 'DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET COLD' if you do, start heading home !!.

We do not however sail if there are any signs of ice, as thin ice will cut your nice GRP waterline to shreads in a very short time.

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Last edited by Tynesider; 07-26-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2011

Quote:
Thanksfor the info, North Carolina and South Carolina are the two areas I am focused on for now. In the construction business and winter time is a dead time for us. From end of December to end of February usually a very slow time.
Yeah, the Carolinas might be good. Building really seems to be booming around Charlotte, but right on the water less so. But I'd check with people more in the know.

If you were considering sailing the Carolina sounds, think very shallow draft. Sure there are channels, but being able to just wonder is more fun. I've sailed the Easter Shore of VA a good bit, and shallow draft is your friend.

Old 08-13-2012

smaynard is on a distinguished road
Re: Winter sailing months around NC, SC,

Just how shallow a draft. Our boat will draw 5'2" , is that a problem? I am more looking for a place to sail a bit but mainly to park my boat for a month or so on the way to FL and then God willing to the Bahamas.
Old 08-13-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Winter sailing months around NC, SC,

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaynard View Post
Just how shallow a draft. Our boat will draw 5'2" , is that a problem? I am more looking for a place to sail a bit but mainly to park my boat for a month or so on the way to FL and then God willing to the Bahamas.
You'll be fine with your draft, you'll be able to go most anywhere you'd care to go in Eastern NC, the obvious exceptions being most of Currituck Sound outside of the ICW channel, and most of Core Sound...

Enjoy, it's a wonderful area to explore...