Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Mooring information requested

I found a great old post on mooring construction in the archives, but what I'm searching for is information on restrictions on mooring placement in the U.S.

Obviously, one cannot place a permanent mooring in a channel of any kind, but is mooring placement regulated by the Federal government, state, or local governements?

Basically, my scenario is this: My neighborhood dock may not have a slip big enough to accomodate my new boat this season. I live in a dead-end cove, near the head of a river. There is no "channel" in the cove. A marina, swimming distance away, has mooring balls placed in the cove.

Where am I allowed to place a mooring? If anyone can refer me to an official document or website, I'd be grateful. My Google-fu is weak, and did not return any useful hits.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Check with the local township.

Not sure about Maryland but nn Maine, moorings are mostly regulated by locals unless in front of a private property.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-27-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Boating

Using Mooring Buoys
It is not always convenient for a boat owner to secure their boat at a dock. On those occasions the person may choose to anchor their boat in a safe location. However, anchors have been known to slip during storms and the owner may awake to find the boat drifted away during the night to destinations unknown.

The most reliable way to prevent this is to attach the boat to a mooring buoy. Mooring buoys are secured to the ground by either being drilled into the waterway bed or by being attached to a heavy mushroom or similar anchor with enough weigh to hold the boat in place. To ensure the buoys do not hinder the safety of others there are restrictions and requirements placed on them.

Permits
The State does not require a permit for single recreational mooring buoys. The federal government requires no permit either, granting permission under the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. However, a mooring buoy may bear ownership identification. We suggest using the state registration number, documentation number or vessel name.

Placement Restrictions
While there are no permits required for mooring buoys, there are restrictions on where you may place them. You may not place one in such a position that the arc of swing extends into a marked or unmarked channel, including navigational main channels as designated by the U.S. Coast Guard. Moorings also may not be placed in a manner that interferes with the operation of an access through any bridge.

Mooring buoys may not be established in the following areas:
Public shellfish beds;

Private shellfish beds, unless permission is obtained from the leaseholder;

Cable crossing areas;

Designated beach and swim areas in the Severn River; or in

Controlled ski areas in the Severn River.

Required Placement
Single recreational moorings shall be placed in such a position that the area encompassed by the arc of the swing does not extend more than one-third the open water distance from the mean high water line on one shore to the mean high water line on the opposite shore. Also, the arc of the swing must not impede or obstruct access to the land of any riparian property owner, the access and proper use of any public access point, or otherwise hinder the orderly access to and use of waterways by the general public.

If you plan to be mooring in Kent County or Annapolis City, be sure to check with these jurisdictions first, because they have additional mooring requirements.

Buoy Appearance
Mooring buoys shall be colored white and shall have a horizontal blue band around the circumference of the buoy, centered midway between the top of the buoy and the water line.

A lighted mooring buoy shall normally display a slow flashing white light. When its location in a waterway is such that it constitutes an obstruction to a vessel operated during hours of darkness, it shall display a quick flashing white light.

Questions
If you have any questions concerning the requirement for a single recreational mooring buoy, please contact the DNR Boating Services Unit at 410 260-8013.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-27-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
If I understand correctly in Maryland moorings are regulated by Maryland DNR. The last time I looked at the issue the rules were pretty liberal and it is easy to get a permit for a mooring, particularly if you are a landowner with waterfront or water-privileged property.

[edit: I defer to Shaun who did the research]
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 07-27-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Perrrrrrrrfect. Thanks!
1973 Pearson 30 #255