Newbie looking for brand advice - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-27-2011 Thread Starter

Newbie looking for brand advice

I just bought a lakefront home and have a dock suitable for up to a 35' boat. I have researched the Hunter 240 and Hunter 22. I like the large cockpit on these boats in relation to similar length catalina and oday sailboats. I really would like any opinions on hunter as a brand and if anyone has any thoughts on these models. The h240 has water ballast. I won't be trailering my boat regularly so is this a plus or minus? I have 2 friends who are experienced sailors and will teach me what I need to know so I don't feel the need to start on a sunfish or some other tiny thing. I was told that sailboats do better on a mooring than a dock. True? My dock is well protected with a stone jetty and I have about 5 feet of water so with keel up it should be deep enough. Feel free to respond with any comments, suggestions or opinions.

Mike
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-27-2011
Blue Horizons

Hunters are perfect boats for what you are seeking. Question is just the model which is right for you. I would however steer clear of water ballast on small boats. A cubic foot of water is around 17 pounds while a cubic foot of ead is over 60. This means the amount of water you would need in a ballast would need to be 4X that for a lead ballast. On small boats, space is at a premium so this makes water ballast types less optimal in my opinion.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-27-2011 Thread Starter

Do you think water ballast on a 24 footer is OK? I am interested in maximum cockpit space and just enough area in the cabin for a cooler and some storage. The h240 seems to have more space than I need
post #4 of 6 Old 07-27-2011
Blue Horizons

Ok how? Basically that boat will be a lot lighter than the same size boat with a lead or iron keel. This means that your boat will be more bobber-like as weather increases. This means that you will be more limited as to when you will be able to sail. Also, your righting ratio will be different. The water ballast is a way for boats to be made cheaper- water is a lot cheaper than lead or iron.
I think you would better off with a lead or iron keeled boat. However, if you are sold on the water ballast then go for it. Just do a little more reading on water ballast boats and how they sail so you know what your getting in to.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-27-2011
Blue Horizons

I would check out the J-24 man- great boats with great cockpit space and sailing ability.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-27-2011

The J24 is terrible for more than two people and makes everybody else HATE sailing as they slide back and forth under the boom on every tack

IMHP water ballast is a required tradeoff to keep a larger trailer boat light enough and should otherwise be avoided

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 07-27-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.