Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Dockside Rant

This season I have replaced our hose nozzle TWICE because someone decided ours was better and switched them.

We don't buy titanium nozzles and they don't shoot water flecked with gold dust. IT'S THE CHEAPEST NOZZLE ACE HARDWARE HAS ON THE SHELF!

Why does anyone feel that because their nozzle does not suit their needs, they can just walk the dock and find another? OK. Thank you for at least leaving your old crap nozzle that leaks but why do you think WE want a nozzle that doesn't work? And REALLY? You can't trot down to the hardware store and buy your own nozzle???

This time when we left the boat I took the nozzle off of the hose. So THERE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 07-28-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2011
RNC725

RNC725 is on a distinguished road
easy fix if you have time and inclination and patience...

same thing happened to our 'stuff', nozzle, hose, fender, even a freakin old boat hook

someone suggested to me that put my initials on it, discreetly, I did and lo and behold I walked our 6 docks and found my boat hook had a quick discussion, he stated he'd had it for a long time, yada yada yada, then I asked him to check to see if my initials were on it under the hook, alas, they were and he said he was simply mistaken, then I asked him to check his hose, same gig there

he gave me $50 and asked for forgiveness, I did and took my pretty wife out for dinner!

jerks are jerks unfortunately, I spent way too much time and effort but I had fun doing it and the end result was a decent dinner, paid for including tip!

Illegitimi non carborundum
tomperanteau likes this.

Bobby Centers
s/v CIRCLE
1967 Cal-30
Augusta, GA
Old 07-28-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
+1, except at our former slip, they just took the hose - nozzle and all...sometimes they left something in it's place, but more often....not.

Then those that were left, I too bought a second, were rounded up for the winter people to shower and fill their tanks...shortly after it disappeared.

When I approached the manager...he did not see the problem...I explained that it WAS about $60 for the two hoses, but more importantly the idea of theft and him not doing anything about it. He did offer (two years ago) to replace my hoses...but I have given up since it has been two years.

He would not let me deduct any $$ for the hoses, when I left...

Like you I did buy a hose/nozzle of my own, that I take in and out every time I clean...

Oh well, the world has certainly changed for the worse in our part of the world.
Old 07-28-2011
Vikingsailor

c40eb is on a distinguished road
Righteous. Might want to put your initials on your boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNC725 View Post
same thing happened to our 'stuff', nozzle, hose, fender, even a freakin old boat hook

someone suggested to me that put my initials on it, discreetly, I did and lo and behold I walked our 6 docks and found my boat hook had a quick discussion, he stated he'd had it for a long time, yada yada yada, then I asked him to check to see if my initials were on it under the hook, alas, they were and he said he was simply mistaken, then I asked him to check his hose, same gig there

he gave me $50 and asked for forgiveness, I did and took my pretty wife out for dinner!

jerks are jerks unfortunately, I spent way too much time and effort but I had fun doing it and the end result was a decent dinner, paid for including tip!

s/v Cloudman
1988 Sabre 30
Old 07-28-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Unfortunately, your name or boat name should be prominently displayed. Sad but true.

I have a friend that has a gallon of orange highway barrier paint and paints just about everything with it. Tool handles, spray heads, everything. Not only ugly, but identifiable from a mile away. It works.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-28-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNC725 View Post

Great story! You should have brought the video recorder as well...then post it here

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-28-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I've never had anything borrowed from my slip. In fact, on our dock, we have the opposite experience- People donate gear to each other. Some gear has been donated numerous times, working it's way from slip to slip and boat to boat. I currently have a backup bilge pump that was the primary bilge pump on "Drifter" before it became the pump on "Baccalieu" before it came to me. Maybe this is one of the hidden upsides of an unserviced dock, or maybe it is the fact that most slipholders are long-term, long time residents.

Old 07-28-2011
Vikingsailor

c40eb is on a distinguished road
Would have been stolen!

I mean, the camera was always on the other guy's boat...he had it for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Great story! You should have brought the video recorder as well...then post it here

s/v Cloudman
1988 Sabre 30
Old 07-28-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
None of that happens in our home port. When we are away from our home we always have to be careful. I guess if you keep your boat in a location where stuff has a tendency to walk, you have to bite the bullet and keep everything under lock and key. I wish it were not that way for you, but if it keeps happening you have to make changes.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-28-2011
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
Thieving scum are everywhere. It's pretty pathetic, really. I see it as a sign of poor parenting. Evidently nobody ever taught these people that when you see stuff that isn't yours, IT ISN'T YOURS. This means you don't just take it because you're pretty sure nobody will see you take it and nobody will know that you took it.

And most of the time, we're talking about only a few dollars. What these morons evidently don't realize is that in many (most?) states, the difference between petty larceny (a misdemeanor) and grand larceny (a felony) typically is drawn at a value of $5 to $50. Last I checked, in Virginia, theft of anything having a value above $5 is grand larceny, punishable by up to a year in prison.

I have zero patience to thieving scum like this. It's not your stuff, so LEAVE IT ALONE. Get your own damn hose.

Fortunately, this does not seem to be an issue at my marina. So far, anyhow.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain