Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011

erickbou is on a distinguished road
What Makes a Good Marina.

Just got my boat and want to get a long term marina slip. What should I look for as signs of a good marina? In other words what makes a marina a "good marina"? Why did you choose your particular marina: Proximity to residence, price, or what else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
I prefer a clean AC bath house and free Wifi

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-31-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
clean, safe, and a clear set of rules/regulations that are judged by one person...
Old 07-31-2011

southshoreS24 is on a distinguished road
Safe and secure with a diligent dock crew that will either take care of your boat in your absence or notify you of any problems before they become incidents.
Old 07-31-2011

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
At our marina, it's our marina neighbors that makes the place stand out. The price is right which is nice and I've known the marina owner for 45 years.
Old 07-31-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Guess it depends on what your priorities are? Do you want a working marina with haulout and maintenace facilities, or a beautiful, resort-like quiet setting?

We picked our marina because its liveaboard-friendly, working marina with access to good sailing, and a location near to work and city amenities. In that order of importance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-31-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
"the only romantic spot on the coast". Richard Henry Dana
Old 07-31-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Most of what everyone else said except no free wifi. Also, when I bought my first boat, a trailer boat, I wanted to keep it at a marina since I hate trailering and at the time I was single. I called up and down the northern Bay for rates. One marina told me the boat was below their minimum size. Finally I found one that didn't charge me a 30' rate for a 22' boat. In fact, when I asked them if they would the response was "Why would we do that?"

I'm on my second boat and still at that same marina. We have looked at other marinas for winter storage closer to home and we keep an eye open when we visit other towns, but we can't bring ourselves to make a move. I considered the local yacht club but it is too far off the Bay for our tastes.

The other advantage is that the yard specializes in sailboats and they are willing to give us advice (and lend us tools) to do our own repairs.

We also like the location for things to do within walking/biking distance when we don't take the boat out. We live in a rural area where buying anything means a minimum half hour car ride so having a West Marine (if our marina store doesn't have the part), hardware, grocery, ice cream, and beer and wine within a two-minute drive is a treat.

We are right ON the Bay, which means less protection from wind, but we consider the view (sunsets and fireworks) and little or no bugs acceptable compromises.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-31-2011
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road
Certainly clean facilities and amenities are on the list, but I would want to ensure the marina routinely maintains the dock as well. I would want the marina to ensure the slips are in good repair with no broken pilings and enough tie offs/cleats to accommodate storms. I would look for minimal exposure to open water but offer good access. As stated in other posts, a diligent dock crew which has your best interest in mind would be a great marina asset.

Unfortunately, my marina has none of these......but its the only game in town that is within reasonable cost and driving distance. As a result I routinely check on my boat about 4x a week and pay attention to the weather very closely.
Old 07-31-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSter View Post
I would look for minimal exposure to open water but offer good access.
We have a fleet of Island Packet charter boats at the end of our dock that act as a second breakwater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSter View Post
As stated in other posts, a diligent dock crew which has your best interest in mind would be a great marina asset.
Which reminded me, we get a phone call and/or email when something on our boat needs attention (beyond little stuff like adjusting lines during a storm or knocking snow off the deck which they'll do for us).

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.