Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Took me a few posts to figure out what RF means.

At lease define the abbreciation once in your post.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough

While i spend a good bit of time doing this

Why would i change anything when i can pull a few pieces of line without leaving the cockpit and steer with two fingers in 20+ knots
deniseO30 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Dave,,,,ever think about a 155 on your HR for the doldrums of summer on the Bay?
I did consider that. Dave Flynn from Quantum and I had a number of very enjoyable conversations on the subject of a headsail bigger than the offshore 110 I already had. In addition to my own experience on a number of boats including many years racing a boat with a full set of headsails (light #1 about 170, heavy #1 about 160, #2 about 130, #3 about 100, and #4 about 70) I had the privilege of advice from some friends with a great deal of meaningful experience. In the end I took Dave Flynn's original advice (he was clearly very patient with me) for a 135 made of light material. Since I don't mind sail changes too much the issue of strength in building winds was less relevant and the shorter foot (less grinding on the wind) is nice.

Off the wind I fly a chute anyway so lift is more important than projected area.

We can't be sure just how much I'm giving up in boat speed but it can't be much. With a clean bottom I can keep boat speed at about half of apparent wind down to about 3 kts true -- not bad at all for a 22k# cruiser.

I didn't consider it in the decision making process, but I'm not sure I could have fit a bigger sail in my sail locker and still had room for the second spinnaker that is on my list of "want-to-haves" as there is a lot of canvas in there already. I have the 100 and 135 (one of which is always on the furler), a staysail, an asymmetric 1.5 oz chute, plus the cockpit extension (a minimized version of an enclosure), the main sail bag, the main cover, and wheel cover).
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 08-02-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Next time I see you flying the main sail bag, main cover and the wheel cover I will know that is you coming to overtake me

Points well taken. The asymetric will suit your needs fine in the light air.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-02-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Tommays...your picture posted is not a J24 is it. Almost looks like a C&C 35

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-02-2011

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
Tommays
Thank you.
It's not just called rooler furling, it's called roller reefing. If I wanted to fill the boat up w/ sails and leave the cockpit to change them every time the wind change velocity I'd still be racing. I've had to change my headsail in 20+ kts by myself and it's not fun. Would much rather, at this point on my life, stay in the cockpit, pull on a couple lines and shorten sail. Much safer.
I've lost 2 friends in the past year because they left the cockpit. Don't plan on joining them! Rest their souls.
Jim
Old 08-02-2011
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Sorry for you loss Jim. But. it's not leaving the cockpit so much as not taking the proper safety measures. And, RF are known to jam and wrap in heavy weather. One reason for changing to smaller sails. Most all of us know what it's like when a 150 screams out from the roll when we "thought" the line was secure.

Guys, try to keep it lighthearted? Please?

my current "project"!
Old 08-02-2011

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
Sorry but
I chose to face reality and know no matter what "safety measures" you've taken. Pfd, jacklines, harness. When you leave the cockpit you're life is in danger. Have you ever been thrown overboard offshore in the middle of the night while your clipped into the jack lines in 30 kts of breeze. I was sure was going to drown being dragged at 10 kts againts the hull in 25' seas. thank god there were 12 guys on board to pull me in. When we are cruising usually there is just 2 of us on board. My wife would not be able to save me alone. I keep my gear well maintained and if there is even a question of the condition of the roller furling line I replace it.
Jim

Last edited by jimrafford; 08-02-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2011

Tweegs is on a distinguished road
So we’re out last Sunday for a race practice session in 3-5 knot winds. About 5 nm out the winds lighten to 1-2 knots and get fluky. Soon the sails go slack and the wind dies. Rather than sit there in 90 degree heat, we toss the anchor and go for a swim.

Why Crusiers Won't change RF headsails-swimming.jpg

Whilst bobbing about out there, the winds shift and pick up, and within a span of 15 minutes go from nothing to 10-15 knots, gusting to 20. Lucky for us the winds were coming right from our marina resulting in a beat back.

Here we are on one leg, you can see the jib is reefed in a bit…a few puckers, but we are heeled over plenty. The main was full up (looks like I could have used a little vang there). Our marina is right near that tower under the boy's arm.

Why Crusiers Won't change RF headsails-heeled.jpg

Here we are riding a puff down on that same leg.

Why Crusiers Won't change RF headsails-speed-shot.jpg

Granted, we were only at 8.1 for maybe 5 seconds (a new crew/boat speed record for us), but we were averaging mid 7’s. The boat is an Irwin 39.

Why Crusiers Won't change RF headsails-washing-toe-rail.jpg

No, I wasn’t at the helm, I don’t like washing the toe rail in that fashion. I’m the cheeky fellow with the death grip on the main sheet above.
Old 08-02-2011
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
12 guys....

my current "project"!